World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few trips I have had there are loads of small stuff around so I have decided to put A challenge out for A bit of fun over winter (so far)when conditions allow me I am going to use the lightest gear I can for A while to see what I can catch I will be using A 12ft tench waggler rod A decent small match reel loaded with 5lb line A waggler float with built in light as need be (day + night ) A 2lb hook link +small carp fishing hooks (6-10s) for bottom fishing it will be A carp rod (fox tackle) shimano reel 6ld line 1-2oz leads (20lb braided shock leader) I just thought it would be interesting to see how many would be willing to try it eddythefly is up for the challenge and agrees it would be interesting if any one is interested in joining in follow the thread we will take your word on tackle used:fishing1:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I'm obviously up for it as generally speaking you describe the tackle I use even in the Swellies!! For bottom fishing I freeline with a crab and FLOATING braid close to the shore. Problem I have had this year is that I just havn't been out. Must be said I do also take my Rubber Shark which is a slightly beefed up carp rod when I fish a beach and I need a little more distance. However when my health improves (notice the positive aspect!) then the light tackle and lure rod will be lighter to carry.
If I can find the piccy i'll try to put it up - the carp rod was great for Wrasse I remember.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Not for me I'm afraid, I fish fairly light all through the Summer when I lure fish for bass and other species and it is very challenging I will say even though not as light as you will be.
The only time I get to use my big boy beach rod is through the Winter but I will follow the thread and best of luck to everyone who takes part.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds interesting but won't you have to limit it to clean beaches? Kelp and rocks will make mincemeat out of light terminal tackle won't they?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Curiously no - it depends on how you fish. Normally with 'typical' sea tackle you cast out, probably with a rotten bottom, and you let your rigs settle after a little tightening up. Then when you get a bite (!!) or decide to rebait you lift up and reel in smartly dragging your rigs through the weed etc. Your line, snoods etc are fairly robust for this reason, not because your average fish is huge!! Also, of course, you're not casting huge distances (whatever that is!!) Having said that, when on a beach I can get some good distance particularly with a 3lb TC carp rod and 3 to 4oz. (If I can sell a couple of Beach casters which I no longer use, I'm after a 3 and half lb TC rod reputed to cast 5oz) I'll use a medium fixed spool on that with 30lb braid. It could be argued that I might as well use the 'sea' tackle i've got but the carp rod can cast stuff a lot lighter as well!!

With very light tackle you cast out and again let stuff settle (if 'bottom' fishing. If you sang then, yes, you lose hooks etc. Otherwise you dont. If you freeline you stand to lose a hook - taht's all because that's all you've chucked in! When I do it I let the line settle and watch the floating portion for signs of movement. You can tell if its crabs and when a fish picks up your bait it flies out along the surface. My original rod was 8' spinning rod (like a lure rod) and I rested it against my digging fork. Perfect in windless conditions, a little more challenging with a little wind!
When using a nice long float you fish just above the weed so tackle losses are less anyway. I've also got a 17' carp float rod (Malcom sold it me!!) which is great for float fishing in some of the Swellies pools just a swing out from the shore with wriggly ragworm on small hooks - Wrasse love them!

At the end of the day it's what you enjoy rather than horizon-hitting and Huss-hoping! Try it, non of my stuff was over £35 a rod, and in my state it's a lot lighter!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.