World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to sea angling. I fished a match last week and had the wrong type of tackle. I was told that I should be using light tackle to catch flatties and possibly codling close in.

Can someone please explain what light tackle is. the rod i was using was a beachcaster. The location was a river estuary.

the club members there were helpful but I didnt really understand what they were telling me. I would like to buy a light rod and have found info hard to come by.

many thanks

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
In that case a bass rod of 2 -4oz casting weight would have been sufficient for the target species, or perhaps even a carp rod and a baitrunner reel. The gear you were using was to overkill because the rod you were using was to heavy for either the species and tactics or the casting distance required. A lighter set up would typically consist of a bass style rod and a small Abu 6000 or Daiwa 7HT reel with 12-15lb mainline and a 30-40lb shickleader using smaller leads aswell from 2 - 4oz. A good rod would be the Shakespeare Odessa Bass or the Mustad Viking lite for around £45ea. A nice little reel to match it would be either a 6500 chrome rocket or a Daiwa 7HT costing around £70. Just PM me if you want any more information on rigs or tactics.

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
for fishing matches in the rivers i have 3 rods. but you dont nessesarily need that many.

a bass rod and small multi for fishing 3oz leads well accross the river.

a carp rod for using a fixed spool and 2 or 3oz leads up to 100 yds.

a light carp or spinning rod for fish ing 1 or 2oz up to 50yds out.

a heavy lure or 2lb carp rod or bass rod will cover most of the above situations though.

a lighter rod will allow you to put a bit of finnesse into your fishing and presentation. using 2 hook flappers and ficking them 40yds onto mud flats or into a channel.

a heavy beach caster with 5 or 6oz is a bit over gunned in these situations.

in some parts of the rivers a 6oz grip might be need to hold in the main channel at times.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
if your mainly into match fishing then a sea quiver will be a good investment. i've got a mustad quiver and it's spot on, comes with 3 tips. you're right there isn't much in the way of info on these rods. i took a gamble and it payed off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for that guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

Will look into the tackle mentioned.

many thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts