World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lo all,
It's starting to get a bit warm to wear my flotation suit to the shore! I'm looking for some waterproofs, (and I mean 100% waterproof) to wear for shorefishing. Ideally they would be light and breathable, with a few pockets, and not bulky. Or does anyone know of some proper waterproofs that would be light enough and compact enough to just keep in my tackle bag all the time? Thanks for any advice or recommendations.
tight lines, Penn

·
Registered
325 Posts
Penn

For lightweight breathable waterproofs of the type that can be folded small enough to go in a bag, I think you will find an outdoor shop is your best bet. Most of the clothing that I have looked at in tackle dealers has tended to be heavy.

Generally speaking, the better breathable gear is expensive, so be prepared. If you go cheap you will find yourself sweating just as much as with your heavy gear.

Fred

·
Registered
686 Posts
Totally agree with Fred - most fishing orientated clothing is a bit on the heavier side and freshwater gear seems overly expensive.

Outdoor shops that stock 'kagoul' type waterproofs which are breathable but are easily stowed in a tackle bag.

Have a look in TK Max on the 'fashion' rail as they sometimes have Helly Hansen, Henri Lloyd jackets at a reasonable cost.

I read in one of the mags that Julian Shambrock ( rod builder/ journalist ) is planning to sell pratical 'sea angling' clothing soon - so he may have something that might be useful - think it's to be called 'Anywhere Anytime'

·
Registered
325 Posts
Spellbound

Nearly right, it is anyfish anywhere. It is supposed to be coming out in May. waiting to have a look myself.

Fred

·
Registered
686 Posts
:eek: - DOH!

Cheers Fred :)

link to website

Code:
http://www.anyfishanywhere.com
Taken out direct link - not sure if it's allowed in these forums.

=======

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Lads, some very useful advice there, I'll have a look round the outdoor shops and TK Max of course!
Tight Lines!
Penn

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Understand your problem regarding 'lightweight' gear. I have used the same Goretex Lite jacket for golf for Ten years and it's still brilliant (about£90)! I wash it and re-proof it in the washing machine. However it's too good for fishing! I've used a double thickness cotton coat for many years with just less sweaters underneath in Summer. As far as waterproof goes the cotton swells when wet and seals all the weaving holes making it very waterproof and is really good but these days is augmented by drops of sardine, Pilchard and Ultrabite rubbed liberally in. (must buy a towel perhaps) It has two advantages. There's the aforementioned waterproofing AND the smell! You're guaranteed to fish alone!

Seriously I bought a very lightweight Bib and Brace from the Glasgow Angling Centre or Carrilon. It's made of one of these modern waterproof yet breathable materials and cost me about £45. There is a long jacket in the same stuff which I will buy if I need to. The stuff folds down so small you'd swear it was going to disapear. You probably paid good money for your Winter suit? Why? It must have been because you wanted it to work and last. Do the same with lightweight stuff!!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Penn don't know where you are in Wales m8 but try the Mcarthur Glenn place outside Bridgend there are a couple of outdoor shops and a Helly Hansen there the HH shop has some excellent gear-I picked up a couple of jackets there last year that would be ideal for you for only £20 ,rrp £120

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again everyone for your help. I'm Cardiff paidfor but with prices like that it might be worth a trip. Cheers again all, Penn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts