World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
After a bit of advice please,what lights & electronics would you put on to 25ft carvel boat?The boat will be used for day & night fishing.
As always any advice greatly appreciated.

Brian

T

·
0 Posts
Port and starboard nav lights plus one all round white light which will double up as a steaming light or when you go to anchor up at night ad turn off your steaming lights you leave that one on as an anchoring light.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
I would also put a red light inside the wheelhouse for night use, a white light will kill your night vision. Also, get a car reversing lamp and rig it angled downwards as a flood light to illuminate the deck area for fishing, but make sure it is not shining out of the boat do it does not get confused with nav lights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd get those new led nav lights there great. They use less energy (when at anchor the night) and last much longer then traditional nav lights (they only cost twice as much).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ive heard the new LED Nav lights are not legal in the case of a collision BUT Im not too sure.

Ron
Last week my local boat dealer showed me some new ones (you can fit them in regular fitiings) and told me they were aproved by the french coastgard (the're distributed by plastimo) and are legal in the Netherlands. I don't know about the UK.

T

·
0 Posts
I'd get those new led nav lights there great. They use less energy (when at anchor the night) and last much longer then traditional nav lights (they only cost twice as much).
Just a point about wording....
You shouldn't have nav lights on when anchored at night.
Just the all round white light.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just completing the 'tidy-up/upgrade' refit to 'Solent Warrior'. In respect of this thread, I have fitted a new teak mast and put on new lights, couple of pics, showing how I approached the Nav/Riding lights, there is a transom mounted white streaming light as original fitting, which works and has been left conected.

ET's OPO

T

·
0 Posts
Very smart looking Et's.

Just a point..... Your green and red are round the wrong way!

Only Joking!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very smart looking Et's.

Just a point..... Your green and red are round the wrong way!

Only Joking!

Tom;

:cry: That made me think :happy: You know how to make a guy sweat!!!!

Wavelenth
Quote: is there 1m vertical separation between the all round white and the red/green????
If not they are too close and look that way from the photo?

You are right, but the all round white is for anchor only, I have a transom mounted steaming/running white that is wire in the red/green lights circuit. The transom light is a standard fitting allowed for on Sea warriors.

I believe I am correct in saying that the 'AR white' is not needed in this situation?:unsure:

ET's OPO

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
For boats under 12metres in length you need a port and starboard coloured navigation lights, and an all-round white light. If you choose to rig lights like a vessel over 12metres, then you need a white stern light and a white steaming light facing forward. You don't need the white steaming light if you are sailing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
yep need the forward facing white or all round white and with the seperation. The forward facing part of the white light is showing that you are a power driven vessel. As the visibility of the white is greater than the red/green it is in your own best interests anyway to ensure that you can be seen easily by someone looking through wheelhouse windows in the dark, cos it aint easy.
Over 50m (thats a BIG vessel) two forward facing whites are needed, highest one on the rearmost mast.
I work out of Ijmuiden in Holland a lot and the light arrays (towing/pushing lights,restricted manouverability, constrained by draught) coming out of there, one of the busiest ports in Europe, are awesome - incorrect arrays just add to the stress when you are trying to see whats what in the dark and rain. :unsure:

·
Registered
584 Posts
For boats under 12metres in length you need a port and starboard coloured navigation lights, and an all-round white light. If you choose to rig lights like a vessel over 12metres, then you need a white stern light and a white steaming light facing forward. You don't need the white steaming light if you are sailing.
Ah, a slight rethink? . . . . :g:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts