World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had planned all week to fish Pwllheli in search of rays and bream but a last minute change in the forecast wind direction scuppered our plans, after a quick re-think we decided to fish Lillypond. It had just about stopped raining when we got there (the usual summer weather!) and there was quite a big swell but we decided to give it a go and see how conditions developed.

We both decided on the same tactics of 1 rod with ray baits and 1 rod with baited shrimp rigs to see if we could rustle up a new species for our tally. Steve was off to a flyer yet again and hooked a mackerel as he reeled in his first cast with his shrimp rig, quite a surprise given the sea conditions but a welcome addition to our bait supplies, I wasn’t that far behind him with a treble shot of a decent pouting and 2 poor cod on my first cast, not a bad start :thumbs:.

Things were steady while the daylight lasted and we caught dabs, pouting, poor cod and a couple of doggies but once in got dark the scratching rods went quiet with only a shore rockling each, we caught the odd doggie on the ray baits but at least they weren’t around in numbers like we expected.

The next bit of excitement came when I duffed a cast on my ray rod, I caught my rig on my rod holdall and my bait landed just a couple of rod lengths out :doh:, I was gasping for a cuppa so I thought I’d leave it where it was for a bit. After 10 minutes or so we spotted a real cracker of a bite on it, surely it couldn’t be a ray that close in :confused:, I lifted into it and it was fish on, after a couple of minutes we could see that it was a half decent huss of about 5 – 6lb, but with the swell it would be too awkward to use the drop net so Steve lay down at the top of the ledge, grabbed the leader and started to slowly haul it up, he had just commented that it was only lightly hooked when the hook pulled out :ahhh:, it was a shame but at least it wasn’t a monster so I wasn’t too disappointed.

About an hour later I was standing next to the scratching rods when Steve shouted that I’d got a good pull down bite on my ray rod, I scrambled over as quick as I could and lifted into it, it took a bit of pressure to get it off the bottom to start with so we thought it could definitely be what we came for and it stayed deep all the way in, things were looking good :thumbs:. Things got a little bit hairy when I had to hold it against the backwash as Steve got ready to help me land it and I felt something rubbing against the rocks but this time there were no last minute dramas and Steve successfully hand-lined it up for me. Result! A 3lb 13oz blonde ray :yahoo:.

My first ever blonde ray :yeah:.

Sadly that was it for the rays and the doggies started to come on the feed so after another hour or so we called it a night. After our long ray drought that’s 3 species so far this year, so it’s smalleyed, cuckoo and stingray next :laugh:.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Great report and pics. Lovely ray aswell.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
well done lads cracking ray nice pics too a nice mix of fish.shaggy

·
Registered
644 Posts
Nice one matey a good report nice couple of piccie`s and a lovely looking ray for your efforts well done.Del.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts