World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is how I have been presenting my limpet but im not having any results from it. I put a good 6 or 7 on a bait needle the wrap it with thread and slide it onto a hook, it stays on throughout a full whack cast and very often comes back in untouched. Am I doing something wrong or are there just no fish feeding on it at the times im trying it?

I have tried it tipped with rag and lug as well.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Should be a good bait after a storm and when there are plenty washed up on the beaches. I use a similar baiting method for fresh mussles, it works well for cod, pollack and coalies from the rock marks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Conditions have to be right for it to work well - the limpet only comes ashore after a good blow and the fish know it so will come inshore looking for it - especially Bass - we have had some great sessions with just limpet close in with a big surf running & caught loads of Bass .... but has to be the right conditions.
Days like now where it is dead calm - the fish dont touch it !

·
Registered
506 Posts
is that the common limpet or the slipper limpet?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Spot on, same as with razor fish too. Limpet will work when there has not been a good blow, but only usually for targeting wrasse. I have caught them on it before, but only when i have been low on baits. These are not the slipper limpets though, these are the ones you kick off the rocks. For wrasse i personally prefer peeler, or if i cant get that lug or a green hrdback crab. Some people like to use fish baits and ragworm, however i find you dont get as many bites on these baits.

·
Registered
506 Posts
limpet the common ones fish goof for wrasse because they have strong teeth and apprently just suck the limpets off the rocks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good pictures lads, I always find it helpful to see pics of bait presented properly, does anyone have any more for other baits? I know this sort of thing has helped me a lot and I reckon it might help other less experienced anglers (my self included). It is certainly a good confidence booster when you get get the bait on the hook to "look right" and stay on. (this might be better in beginners+improvers so please move if appropriate)

·
Registered
184 Posts
interesting one that bagstar,ive never had any success with limpet,and yet ive heard other people swear by it,it seems its a when the conditions are right sort of bait,well after the next blow ill give it a try then.
kjp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts