World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bit of a daft question for you guys.....I have been fishing for 30+ years, mainly boat fishing, ( its only in the last 2 years that I have found out what end of a beachcaster it is that you hold )

What I was wondering is, have any of you ever used or try'd limpet for a bait ? I have never try'd it myself as where I live I can get any kind of live bait, rag/lug etc etc

Please let me know if any o you guys have had any success on it as I was thinkin of giving it a try, but dont want to prize the poor wee beasties from the rocks if thr no good.

cheers

·
Registered
550 Posts
I used them in the Bristol channel to tip rag worm or lug worm when I was younger, caught some reasonable coddling up to 3lb.

Tight lines

Mike

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
As a lad simply because I had not learnt how to find 'proper' bait. Very longlasting on the hook and beloved of crabs so they must be tough! Good, in my humble opinion, only to help keep softer baits on the hook. Also, from what I've read, some of these impressive creatures are very old having grazed the same rocks for tens of years (They eat green algae as I understand it and have a regular 'patrol area' I tend to leave them where they are, bless 'em! easy to remove as long as you're quick and give them a sideways smack with a hammer stone.

Slipper limpets, found on some rocky, shingly marks are supposed to be the actual dog's whatsits! They are often washed off during rough weather and thus are part of the regular ecology of an area and thus the Bass are used to foraging for them. From what I've seen down on the South Coast in particular many consider them to be excellent. Hopefully this will stimulate the much more knowledgeable to inform us!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
slipper limpet are excellent bass bait.

collect from the beach after a storm and use fresh or freeze them down.

if frozen dfrost them a couple of days before you need them the smellier the better.

fish find them when they are old and stinky so it doesn't seem to matter how many times they have been frozen.

use a small short shanked hook like an uptide extra in a 1/0 and fill it with limpet.
if after bass you don't need to cast more than 30 yards normally so no need for elastic.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
One of my pals used them about 3 weeks ago, just tipped a rag worm with them and ended up with a 12lb cod. :eek: off the beach.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K cheers guys, I am going fishing tomorrow morning, been out the last couple of hours digging rag/lug with the odd cockle thrown in.... the mark that i am going to be fishing had loads of limpets on it, will give them a try and let you know how I got on.

once again many thanks for the info.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have just had a delivery of frozen bait from baitsdirect, and included are 10 packets of limpits. They look great. Can't wait to try them.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Hi guys
An interesting discussion here but what is the diference between the Slipper Limpet and the ordinary type - I only know of the conical shelled one that stock onto the rocks.
I do hear however that the ordinary type works well amd work better when matured (left out to get a bit stinky).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts