World Sea Fishing Forums banner

limpets as bait?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sorewrasse 
#1 ·
can u use ordinary rock limpets as bait? :(

#2 ·
Billy222

Limpets are a good bait for bass and flatties. Have caught a few small bass on rag/limpet. Let us know how you get on?

Woodster

#4 ·
normal limpets you find on the rocks and groyns at low tide can be used as a stand by bait, or as a tipping bait, but ive not had much luck as a hookbait in their own right. not a lot of smell and rather rubbery. slipper limpets are much much better, especially after a storm, when they are dislodged and wash up dead and dying, on the tide. if you wanna use limpets, thats your best choice.

#5 ·
eh up mate, wouldn't pick limpets as i prime bait but used to have a fair bit of success using them for codling and wrasse! two or three of them on a hook at the same time seemed to work up here in fife! try them wherever you fish and keep us all posted as to how you get on!! best of luck... :)

#7 ·
"Hello"
I've found the rock limpets to be lethal for wrasse, sadly don't really fish for them any more, never caught any other species with them though. the slipper limpets on the other hand are an excellent bait when used it the right conditions (won't go on about em as i'm sure you already know) ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.