World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished 4 hrs up 3 back.....
managed 4 hounds out... 6 to 8lb in size... one other very good size fish lost after a good tug of war....
fish well spaced out.. so plenty of time to relax..
everything feel to fresh peeler..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Was that you mate this morning with the black beach shelter, i was about 100 yards from you. I only had 1 good pull down but that was it. I just had frozen peeler, seems fresh was best.

Iain.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
i,m getting a bit fed up with all the negative reports about the Lincs coast Rob..... there seem to be a lot blanking lately... do you think luck plays a part or are we just doing it right mate..... Chris

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
luck most play a big part in fishing...
but fishing the right time, conditions, good bait fresh or frozen.. i half caught on both well this yr...
another big rule i have found with hound fishing is to keep changing the distance of your casting to find fish..
in the last 6wks i,ve had 10 trips to the linc,s coast... 150 mile round trip.. 2 blanks... 58 hounds 9 doubles 16lb the best.. ray,s bass and flats...the fishing is far better on the linc,s coast than down this way....

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's not all luck, not by a long shot, or by the law of averages we would all be catching at around the same rate. Angling expertise - knowing where to fish, as well as when and how - makes all the difference. As does having the opportunity to go when "you know it makes sense". I can't complain, I've had three good sessions on the trot, but a few less commitments and a few more opportunities wouldn't go amiss.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i,m getting a bit fed up with all the negative reports about the Lincs coast Rob..... there seem to be a lot blanking lately... do you think luck plays a part or are we just doing it right mate..... Chris
Luck does not exist it is just a pure myth.
You lads know the game and the area, not to put to fine a point on it. You know how to fish both the area and the fish you are targeting, the likes of muggins here may be some time before we even get a sniff of a break.
There is no substitute for on the ground knowledge, it wont guarantee a result but it will give you a half decent stab at a prize. You dont need to look any further than your results to see what i say is close or spot on the mark.
I am no sea angler just a shooter who is trying to pick fishing up in the close season. when i cant get up for deer, and i am enjoying every second of it. Makes a nice change from the usual pasture rabbits and lamping for fox i do at this time of year.. . I am learning all the time, had some results opn Bass and a couple of cod early on, but i am not nieve enough to place any faith whatsoever in LUCK. it is as i say a pure Myth.
You get out of a sport what you put in to it in time money and development of your skills and refinement of your equipment. I have a hell of a long way to go before i even get half decent at this sport, Finding the marks is not that easy to an outsider, but i am getting there slowly, I keep trying new/ ideas/ rigs/baits i found a lost rig the other night from a well frequented smutt venue, it is slightly different to what i use or have seen and will be trying exact copies next time i go, There is two ways of looking at this find, either the angler was a top line snutter who lost his whole rig in a fierce fight with a huge smutt or hw was a total wally like me who did not even know how to tie a leader knott let alone catch a hound, time will tell. Needless to say i will be reporting my first Smoothound be it 2lb or 20 i care not, i just know i will try the best i can get one off that coast before the waterfowling starts in september. I can do no more than try my best, that may get me a prize. But Luck will play no part at all.:whistling

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Theres nothin complicated about catching hounds on lincs coast prefect, but 1 thing that will help u is the ability to put a small crab bait over 140+yds., no bones about it most are at distance.

a simple pully rig 2/0 sharp/strong hook and a half a crab is all u will ever need to catch them.
combine that with the right weather tides (westerly winds/small tides) and u will catch, i have caught at hi - water, low water, mid ebb and mid flood it dont matter, if they are there they will be feedin

just keep at it, and the next time im over ur welcome to join me :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Theres nothin complicated about catching hounds on lincs coast prefect, but 1 thing that will help u is the ability to put a small crab bait over 140+yds., no bones about it most are at distance.

a simple pully rig 2/0 sharp/strong hook and a half a crab is all u will ever need to catch them.
combine that with the right weather tides (westerly winds/small tides) and u will catch, i have caught at hi - water, low water, mid ebb and mid flood it dont matter, if they are there they will be feedin

just keep at it, and the next time im over ur welcome to join me :)
I am very greatfull for your advice and offer i can make around 140 measured yards with bait on and 5 oz with my humble set up (a Supercast and antique squider 140 ) so i may well just be lacking the rest of the requirements, i will say this much i have never fished the lincs coast with anything like a westerly blowing, there you go you see one simple post tells me something i just did not know, lot to learn. Finding that info out with mr jack jones for company could have taken me ages to work out. :).

·
Registered
633 Posts
am gonna be heading down to mogs on wednesday morning early tie fishing bottom to top so will post photos if i catch my hopeful quarry , cant wait , cost enough for my first trip so would be great to finally have a new east species on my list , tight lines folks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi perfect, Machy is right about the hounds when they are in they are pretty easy to catch but if you cant get over the 100 yard mark you will struggle to get a bite from one. PM me next time your thinking about coming on the beaches and I will fish with you mate ......Ive popped loads of lads first hound this year......boansy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts