World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I live in Theddlethorpe just north of Mablethorpe and am keen on catching some fish to eat. I have a rod and a reel and a bit of tackle and have read a little about fishing.
The things I can't get my head round are what weather, tide, location, tackle, time of day, or time of month are the right ones to catch fish.
These things seem all very relevant to where you fish and what you are fishing for.
Well, I don't want to go much further than a few miles up or down the coast, and I want to catch anything I can eat!
I realise that fishing can be a steep learning curve and am prepared to put some time and effort in. Anyone willing to help me would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Nicko

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi nickov welcome to the forum mate.I (as many others will do) will gladly give you a few guides which will hopefully catch you a few fish.
Best tide website www.easytide.co.uk
search for your fishing location of your choice (add on 1 hour for britsh summertime)
I usually fish three hours up to 1 hour over the top of tide, it also sometimes depend on what your'e after species wise and location.
Lugworm ragworm and squid best baits for most species and peeler crab for bass.Use pennel or larger two hook clip down rigs for the bigger fish in winter (size 3/0 or 4/0) ie cod going down to size 1/0 and 2/0 hooks on paternoster rigs/booms for flatties (dabs ,soles).150grm breakaway weights are generally good at most locations,use 170/190 grm weights with strong tides,rough weather.(mostly winter).
Use also shock leader to take the strain of casting, generally 50lb/60lb breaking strain,tie on to mainline and give some turns on the reel to allow a short amount of shockleader to lay on reel spool before casting,allow about 6ft to hang down from rod tip before adding rigs of your choice.
Best of luck
regards
compo

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Welcome to the site Nicko the beaches around Mablethorpe, Sutton on sea and Sandilands produce a few bass between now and mid october. this is a species which can be caught closer in along with flounders and eels. Yellowtail lug dug locally will do the trick along with crab try and fish with a bit of wave on the water but this is sometimes unnecessary, fish the flood up from low water.

Usually around the second week in October the whiting arrive in vast numbers which are also nice to eat along with the dabs, put in a few trips now and practice casting so that by October you should be ready to bag up on the whiting and if your lucky the odd codling too.

There are plenty of lads on here who fish regularly in that neck of the woods who I'm sure will be willing to show you the ropes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Welcome to the site Nicko
Here is a site with a tide table program http://wxtide32.com this predicts tides upto the year 2037

Also if you are new to sea fishing make sure you know the legal size limits you don't want to get fined £1000 for taking an udersize sea bass for example.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi Nicko and welcome to the site!! I live in Sutton on Sea, 100 yards from the sea at high tide, and regularly fish "the backyard". The fishing can, as coalie (Paul) says be very productive, especialy in the autumn when the whiting arrive. Send me a pm with your phone number and I'll give you a bell.
THANK CODFOR FISHING!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Definitely have a go on the beaches from, say, Sutton on Sea southwards. Bait is not always easy to get around here, but even with frozen you will catch, especially when the winter fish arrive. Practice your casting, because that is a useful skill to have on these shallow beaches. There are plenty of us who fish this area and would be glad to help out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice.
Paul Pouting I'll be in touch.
I am looking forward to posting my first catch report!

Cheers
Nicko

1 - 7 of 7 Posts