World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never caught one of these gorgeous fish before...was thinking of having a try for one over the next month or so...where would be a good venue to try and when on the tide is best to try them...
Obviously thinking of fishing at night, using Peeler...any other tips or tricks that might help me winkle out one of these beauties!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Never caught one of these gorgeous fish before...was thinking of having a try for one over the next month or so...where would be a good venue to try and when on the tide is best to try them...
Obviously thinking of fishing at night, using Peeler...any other tips or tricks that might help me winkle out one of these beauties!
Don't wait try now, they have their run then gone so don't wait.
They take farm rag as well I've had 6 in a session on them and they feed in day light.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the input...was waiting for some nice high pressure (is that because its good for the fish or the best weather for staying out after dark on the beach lol!)
Was thinking of somewhere around - Bacton/Happisburgh/Cart gap but I have ZERO local knowledge (the futhest north i've fished in East Anglia is Pakefield when we went on a Dab fishing frenzy!) so am completely open to suggestions...
Was thinking about targeting a night time high tide...fishing up to high tide and an hour or so down...thats simply because thats what i'd always try with a venue i didn't know so if anyone has any relevent info i'd really appreciate it!
Rigs wise my initial guess would be clipped down pennels and up and over pennels with longer snoods as the tide drops...again if anyone has any info i'd love to hear it...
Everything i've read says Peeler is THE bait for Smuts...but as no-one likes blanking will probably fishh two rods..one on Peeler/one with a three hook flapper on Rag to target whatever else is about...But if anyone fishes regularly and has any ideas...i'd love to hear from them...
I've ended up inviting a couple of keen Boat Fishers from work...so pressure is on me to produce the goods...any help will be gratefully received!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Crab is THE bait but you will catch them on rag when they're there, basically they move through in packs eating everything in front of them. They like setlled calm and clearing seas which usually come with high pressure, they don't like it mucky as they are sight feeders mostly. They turn up on all the beaches you've mentioned anytime now. The beaches you mentioned are ebb beaches but when the smuts are in they can turn up at any state of the tide. This looks like fairly open info. the upshot is you need to get out there and do it! Those beaches will see calm weather if the forecast holds for this weekend saturday night high water around 2045, I would fish from around 1800 to around 0100.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Smoothounds have been showing on the Holderness coast just north of the humber so it might be worth a chuck at Chapel point or moggs eye as these are prominent smut venues and they are a lot closer than Norfolk to Notts......... Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lots of Smoothounds are being caught by boat anglers less than half a mile from the shore between Chapel Point and Anderby Creek.

3 boats had 150 between them Thursday last week

Don't know about the beaches, but with South westerlies forecast i would guess that the hounds will be moving in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts