World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Having just bought a new rod I would like so advice on my line setup. I have a 12ft beachcaster which I intend to use for winter beach battles with mother nature.

Secondly I have a bass rod with a reel with 2 spools. Id like to know what breaking strain line to use for;

Beachcaster, lb mainline and 50lb shock?

Bass rod-light reel for lures and floating, lb mainline

Bass rod-rough ground reel setup for rough ground!

I would appriciate your recommendations thank you

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi, you will find line choice a very personal thing, so i would imagine you will get lots of different answers!!!

Heres mine.

I choose line based on diameter not breaking strain, because some manufactures claim to have 'super abbrasion resistant' lines, which are nothing of the sort, just 20lb line marked up as 15lb line or similar.

For general beach casting i use 0.33 diameter Daiwa sensor with a 60lb shock leader.

For heavy ground fishing i use 0.405 diameter Daiwa sensor with 60lb shock leader.

I'm affraid i dont chuck lures so cant help you on that one.

I use sensor because its cheap, tough and has never let me down, busting the 0.33mm take some doing if you are snagged. I'd rather use a cheap line that was only a session or two old, than an expensive line that has been rattled around on the beach for 6 months.

Sensor is a bit prone to twisting on a fixed spool, but its so cheap, just change it when it becomes and issue.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i would fill one spool with mono and the other with braid

1 - 4 of 4 Posts