World Sea Fishing Forums banner

line colour

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  lobbit 
#1 ·
this may seem numb to those in the no but does the colour of your line make a differance and if so what are the best colours to use

#2 ·
I always go for clear, dont know if this makes any difference for normal fishing, but I have found that a clear line and clear shock leader give better results when Bass fishing. coloured lines seem to spook them, but that may be due to the clear water conditions I fish in for Bass, Other species dont seem to matter
Reports say that Red Ice is almost invisable in water but not being a fish I cant confirm, coloured shock leaders are easier to see at night though, and some anglers say that coloured lines especially yellow are easier to see in daylight
only trial and error in your area can tell
Gray

#3 ·
if your using a leader then the colour of your reel line wont matter as its going to be 30ft from the bait anyway. in winter fishing at night or in coloured water again a coloured leader will be fine but during summer fishing during the day into clear water i only like to use clear leaders.

my rig boddies are all clear. hooklengths again during the winter ay night or in dirty water i use red, black or clear.

during the summer i prefer clear just to be sure and feel confident.

i do however like to use red hook lengths when after flounder in the rive which usually has lots of colour.

#4 ·
I like to use coloured line when beaches have lots of peole walking up and down so they can see the line and hopefully not walk into it. Clear shock leaders if fishing coloured line in the Summer. As people have said already Bass spook easy so go for a clear line if possible.

#9 ·
have to agree red is best its suppose to be the first invisible colour in water i use red ice all the time unless i run out i have used blue line strangley ive blanked every time using it ....so i stick to my red ice off flea bay
It begs the question - Why is red such a popular colour for wreck fishing lures?
Avoid black line like the plague.

#17 ·
Just seen this ad on this forum site;
--------------------------------------------------
Shakespeare Aerial Shock Leader 60lb
Designed as a good general purpose shockleader available in high visibility red which in product testing appears sand brown under water making it virtually invisible. It has a low diameter (0.75mm) and low stretch for greater distance whether fishing from the beach or competing in the field.
---------------------------------------------------

Says it all I think

Dave
:g:

#19 ·
its not the spool line, leader or even your trace line color that matters, but the color of your hook snood.....

some fish may be wary of a bright colord line attached to a bait in clear water, but murky water fish tend to rely on smell rather than sight, so i beleive.....

i try to use clear line at all times but during the winter i will try to use a fluro mono filiment to help me......

imho i think that fish tend to sense were your main line lays and will swim around it......

#20 ·
I used to do a lot of diving when in the Royal Navy, and can confirm that red is the first color of the spectrum to disappear when under water. Blue line will show the most.

I always use red line with a red leader when fishing deep water marks when the water is gin clear, however when fishing shallow clear surf beaches or close in on other beaches I use 12lb clear mainline with a clear leader as the RED is still visible in shallow water!!

#22 ·
isnt it weird though..... 30 years ago nearly every shore fisherman used blue sylcast. we caught far more fish then than we do now. i know there less fish now but we never thought about line colour making a difference.

i wont use blue line though and havnt for over 20 years after reading an article about fish seein it then having a few blank sessions using it.

#23 ·
This is a very edcucating thread this......

I was using two different lines last sunday....

A flouro yellow one,with same colour shock leader,but clear rig line,and on the other reel,a clear line,leader,and rig.

Funnily enough,I caught my only fish on the clear set up.

I am going to change my leader on the yellow line,and see if that makes any difference...........

Keep it going,I am liking this.

Si.

#24 ·
I used to do a lot of diving when in the Royal Navy, and can confirm that red is the first color of the spectrum to disappear when under water. Blue line will show the most.

I always use red line with a red leader when fishing deep water marks when the water is gin clear, however when fishing shallow clear surf beaches or close in on other beaches I use 12lb clear mainline with a clear leader as the RED is still visible in shallow water!!
i always assumed red went into a sort of greenish hue under water or dissapeared like you say
doest blood go blackish green at depth ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.