World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly hello to all, this is my first post and as with all newbies, im here to ask all you lot questions!

Having spent most of my time in the sea fly fishing, and a bit of an allrounder in the non-sea world im setting myself up for a cheap beach rod kit for my holidays/boys weekends by the sea.

Im a tad confused with all these different stages of line.

I plan on doing some short/medium ledger work with leads approx 1-3oz, now, from the info gathered on here i know to use the 10x rule, making my shock leader 30lb+ for these leads, however what reel line should i be using? ill be targeting the 'any' fish using mackrel/squid/worm/sandeel baits and hopefully getting amongst something edible (<10lb id imagine).

and further to that what strength should snoods be? same as your main line? lighter to improve presentation?

cheers for any feedback

chris

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I use 3 oz a lot for bass fishing...18lb adrenaline which is top notch

i tend not to bother using a leader as i don't fish near anyone..(exposed rock marks) and i only lob a bait out between 20-50yards.

they are usefull but like all things you need to asses the risk of where your fishing.

john

·
Registered
728 Posts
Leaders are essential for "beach casting" in the accepted sense. But if you are using light tackle - and in my book 1 to 3 ozs counts as light tackle - then it is not so critical. I am assuming that you will be using a bass rod or similar with a small multiplier or FS reel. Provided you are not hurling the end tackle to the horizon, you can get away with either light line with a tapered bass leader (10 > 30lbs), or use 15 - 18 lbs straight through. Hook snoods can be the same, but remember, the lighter the rig and snood, the more they will tangle in the tide.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Firstly hello to all, this is my first post and as with all newbies, im here to ask all you lot questions!

Having spent most of my time in the sea fly fishing, and a bit of an allrounder in the non-sea world im setting myself up for a cheap beach rod kit for my holidays/boys weekends by the sea.

Im a tad confused with all these different stages of line.

I plan on doing some short/medium ledger work with leads approx 1-3oz, now, from the info gathered on here i know to use the 10x rule, making my shock leader 30lb+ for these leads, however what reel line should i be using? ill be targeting the 'any' fish using mackrel/squid/worm/sandeel baits and hopefully getting amongst something edible (<10lb id imagine).

and further to that what strength should snoods be? same as your main line? lighter to improve presentation?

cheers for any feedback

chris
IF you're only using 1-3oz leads, then just spool up with 15lb line, straight through, no great need for a shockleader, if you want to use a shockleader, just to be safe, if you decide to whack it out, just use 25lb, we used to use a 25lb braid shock/rubbing leader for Carp fishing, when banging out 3-3.5oz leads 150+ yards, rig body, use 4 to 5 feet of 50-60lb, that will then act as a good rubbing leader, to protect against rocky marks, Dogfish etc, hooklinks, you can use 15lb line, but Crabs can and will at times knaw through this, so will Smoothounds/Doggies etc, so 30lb is a safer bet, you don't need to be so finnicky (generally speaking) with sea angling presentation as you do Fly/Coarse Angling.

HTH

AL ..

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm with lazy and red on this one...keep it simple...:secret:

I don't bother with a shockleader cos I'm only throwing a 2oz lead + bait around 40 yds...that's where the Bass are...:whistling

18lb mono mainline is ideal with a hooklength of 17lb Fluorocarbon (around 3') to a hook as large as your bait needs...BINGO...:laugh:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'm with lazy and red on this one...keep it simple...:secret:

I don't bother with a shockleader cos I'm only throwing a 2oz lead + bait around 40 yds...that's where the Bass are...:whistling

18lb mono mainline is ideal with a hooklength of 17lb Fluorocarbon (around 3') to a hook as large as your bait needs...BINGO...:laugh:
That'd work as well :)

AL ..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi

standard mainline would usually be a .35mm / 15 lb when / if using any shock leader of any type (even if chucking out just 3ozs - and of course the tapered carp type leaders 15lb to 30lb tip section are good enough). However, the other way is to step up the main line to 25 lb to 30lbs , and despense with any shock leader at all (and thus no shocker leader knot, which is often a source of weakness and collects weed etc).

Having said all that, what with the rougher weather and plenty of weed around, you'll often find need to up the weights you chuck out to make for easier fishing and saving yourself problems. As for snoods, its more about keeping things tangle free, and usually 20lb is the norm - using something like Amnesia etc. Any less, and often comes back as a tangled mess unless its a flat calm sea. Sea fish aren't quite as wary as you are probably used to - I can say that as I am an all rounder myself, and obviously fish very differently in rivers etc, like the Hampshire Avon etc etc

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Strength of shock leader is also relevant to the type of rod being used,in the case of a stiff casting tool always stick to the 10x rule,however if you are using a softish forgiving type of rod or just plopping then in my opinion you can adjust it accordingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts