World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just invested in a longer rod and fixed spool reel loaded with Whiplash braid for summer match fishing to enable me to use longer traces.

However how often is it recomended you change the braid? I intend to only use it over clean ground which should add to its life and I opted for 30lb line, despite being a bit on the heavy side for clean ground shore fishing it is still only 0.10mm. I thought it may last a bit longer.:g: :g:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I believe life for braid is up to 5 years provided it is not subjected to abrasion. You may want to cut it back now and again to remove the damaged/worn sections.

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Whiplash is not the most abrasion-resistant braid around (the fused or polymer-reinforced ones are) and you can't always tell by looking at it / feeling it just how worn it is.... it might have 25lb(+) strength left or only 10lb.

However I have some friends who have been using 50lb Whiplash for rough ground fishing for a long time and all they have done is occasionally cut back 5-10 feet.
They are still on the original line.
One of them now uses a 6 ft long mono "leader" if fishing over "coral" (tube worms) as he found that 'crunchy sand' wore whiplash very quickly.

Apart from abrasion (or tangles) it should last for years, many more than 5 ( ! , really - if not worn or subjected to high heat it can last at least ten)

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I have just invested in a longer rod and fixed spool reel loaded with Whiplash braid for summer match fishing to enable me to use longer traces.

However how often is it recomended you change the braid? I intend to only use it over clean ground which should add to its life and I opted for 30lb line, despite being a bit on the heavy side for clean ground shore fishing it is still only 0.10mm. I thought it may last a bit longer.:g: :g:
When you think that it needs changing, just turn it over. This is a lot easier if you have a spare spool.

jason.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whiplash is not the most abrasion-resistant braid around (the fused or polymer-reinforced ones are) and you can't always tell by looking at it / feeling it just how worn it is.... it might have 25lb(+) strength left or only 10lb.

However I have some friends who have been using 50lb Whiplash for rough ground fishing for a long time and all they have done is occasionally cut back 5-10 feet.
They are still on the original line.
One of them now uses a 6 ft long mono "leader" if fishing over "coral" (tube worms) as he found that 'crunchy sand' wore whiplash very quickly.

Apart from abrasion (or tangles) it should last for years, many more than 5 ( ! , really - if not worn or subjected to high heat it can last at least ten)
Thanks a lot for the advice, it was a shock to the system paying so much for braid when you pay a lot less for mono. Just as well it lasts longer.:clap2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts