World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manx fisher,

Back in February, there was a thread on Abu Mag and Sports, and you mentioned with your type of fishing you needed a line out alarm. What type of fishing would this be? I'm a beginner so please excuse ignorance.

Fred

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Fred

The line out alarm (or ratchet as I know it) is a must have item when fishing for tope. I cast out, then slacken off the drag and switch on the ratchet. I could leave it in free spool with ratchet on, but the tide pull (combined with big rafts of weed) is enough to pull line from the reel - hence the slackened drag.

Anyway, the reason for all this trouble is that when a tope picks up a bait it instantly runs at speed. Without a slackened drag the rod would be pulled into the sea before the angler could react. I have seen this happen !!! I simply didn't beleive it was possible until I got my first tope run...

It is exhilarating to hear the ratchet screaming as a tope picks up the bait and runs !!! I have successfuly used my Abu 6500 mag elite for tope fishing, but it just isn't the same without the ratchet screaming :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Manx. I assumed it was a gadget that tiod you when the line on the spool was getting low. Now I know.

Fred

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tope don't just hit hard when first hooked they seem to get a second wind when they see the boat thats why you need to set the reel drag before you start fishing as can be seen in this video clip Here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts