Discussion Starter #1
tried 2 makes in different strengths.

first batch was all ultima seastrike xt

dia. stated breaking strain actual b.s.

.60mm 35lb 26lb
.55mm 30lb 33lb
.50mm 30lb 18lb:blink:
.45mm 25lb 13.5lb

very unusual results and as far as i'm aware all line is fairly new with no uv exposure.all lines in yellow except the lower breaking strain 30lb.don't know why the .55mm dia. one was so good,but results were consistent:g:

second batch is lidls g=green y=yellow b=brown

dia. stated b.s. actual b.s.

.45mm y 31lb 25lb
.40mm y 25lb 18lb
.40mm b 25lb 23lb
.35mm g 18.5lb 18.5lb
.30mm g 14.5lb 13.5lb

some of this line had been bought over a year ago though no uv exposure.tbh i thought these quite an impressive strength for it's diameter,though knots do slide easily with them.they also are fairly resiliant to abrasion as well

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
tried 2 makes in different strengths.

first batch was all ultima seastrike xt

dia. stated breaking strain actual b.s.

.60mm 35lb 26lb
.55mm 30lb 33lb
.50mm 30lb 18lb:blink:
.45mm 25lb 13.5lb

very unusual results and as far as i'm aware all line is fairly new with no uv exposure.all lines in yellow except the lower breaking strain 30lb.don't know why the .55mm dia. one was so good,but results were consistent:g:

second batch is lidls g=green y=yellow b=brown

dia. stated b.s. actual b.s.

.45mm y 31lb 25lb
.40mm y 25lb 18lb
.40mm b 25lb 23lb
.35mm g 18.5lb 18.5lb
.30mm g 14.5lb 13.5lb

some of this line had been bought over a year ago though no uv exposure.tbh i thought these quite an impressive strength for it's diameter,though knots do slide easily with them.they also are fairly resiliant to abrasion as well

You really need to get out more:blink:

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You really need to get out more:blink:

i know...sad aint it.perhaps you can give me some counselling at the england wales meet:)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Blankerman

Interesting results there specially on the Lidl's line (cheap one)

Woodster

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
i know...sad aint it.perhaps you can give me some counselling at the england wales meet:)
Don't talk to me about councils - see the 4x4 thread

oh it's counselling you're after - well if it involves copious amounts of Stella - I'm your man:)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Your lucky - bought some that actually gave what it should. I don't think age has anything to do with it unless it's years in bad conditions - that's heat and sunlight. I'm sure it's a quality control problem. I am wary of buying line from shops that display all the line in a place that gets lots of light.
Having visited a re spooler I know things aren't that simple - that's how lines are effectively branded, not many companies actually make the stuff. One might expect to see stock that had been there for years and years and years without any thought as to it's keeping qualities. This may explain why larger sizes tend to be the worst. Having said that though I have bought line from a shop that kept it a cellar. 10 years old and still fine.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts