World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hello folks

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I,ve just started shore fishing.Being an ex course fisherman there&#39;s one thing i&#39;m not sure about.Why are the rigs always made from 50 -60 lb and your main line is recommended to be 30-40lb
</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Im not sure who recommended 30 - 40lb mainline unless you are boatfishing or fishing rough ground without a shock leader. If you fish clean to mixed ground 15 - 20lb is more then ample followd by a length of shockleader 50 -60lb 1.5 times the length of the rod.

60lb rig line is used for safety reasons and beacuse it comes into contact with abrasive obstacles. Weaker line may fray or break causing a potential hazard to you or other people when casting. Hope this sheds some light.</font>

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I fish the North East coast of Scotland at Aberdeen. I tend to use a 20lb mainline, and a 60 lb shockleader for all my fishing. However, many people around here use only 30lb line, with no shockleader - this is as they are probably hunting for cod - which rarely need the big casts, as the fish are usually mooching around the rock and kelp beds within 50-70 yds reach.

If you are likely to need a big cast, then definately use the 15-20 lb line with a shockleader, (including 60lb trace line to the sinker, the hook snood can be anything you like as long as it does not take any of the casting stresses.</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts