World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of these reels for £30 from Fishing Megastore.
I bought it to use as a boat lever drag reel. It has a CNC machined open aluminium cage, 4 ball bearings and a mechanism to put the reel into freespool when the lever is totally backed off.
The design made me suspicious so I removed the L/H graphite side plate. There is a fitting to take a 13mm by 3mm alnico rod magnet in the side plate and a machined groove in the aluminium spool into which the magnet protrudes. This forms a permanent magnetic brake.
I fitted a suitable magnet and, as an experienced beach caster, tried out the reel. The brake works and I was able to achieve in excess of 80 yards with a 4 oz. weight with no birdsnests. The reel takes 250 metres of 20lb mono and, is a real bargain when converted. There is no other castable lever drag on the market that I know of for this sort of price and I recommend it. It may not be tournament casting class but should make a good mult-purpose reel. This is Lineaffe old stock so be quick if you want one.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Sounds like what I'm after for hounds/tope -uptiding . How does the size and weight compare to say a Abu 7000?
Mag conversion sounds good - can you get them in less than packs of 50 ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like what I'm after for hounds/tope -uptiding . How does the size and weight compare to say a Abu 7000?
Mag conversion sounds good - can you get them in less than packs of 50 ?
Only available in packs of 50 but i can send you one if you send me a SAE. I'll send you may address via private message.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Hi mate I've just ordered one of these reels. if I send a SAE could I have a mag as well (I'll swap you for a couple of Bass/pike flies if you'd like)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got about 47 of these little magnets spare so if anybody wants one to convert a Cayman, let me know and I will send you one on receipt of a SAE. I will PM my address.
You have to run a 3mm drill 10mm down the hole in the side plate to provide a clearance hole for the magnet and superglue it when you have adjusted it to closest clearance to the groove in the spool.
These mags are strong for their size and can lift 2.4kg. Need to keep clear of your credit cards.
ASAC
http://www.alresford-sac.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts