World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right here goes # what lines are best for med to rough ground and help with distance = mono ' braid ' or nanofil ?? Or any i have missed thats been a winner And why please thanks ""

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Lippy, is that with FS or multi?

Musky
I use both, Musky.
66lb PP on Shimano Ultegra for mixed.
106lb PP on Avet MX MC for the rough.

I prefer multipliers, but FS are much more forgiving in fishing scenario if you really want to bang it. By fishing scenario, I mean wind or slightly unstable footing - if you are banging thinner braid out on a multi you have to be casting smooth as butter.
Intend to get an Avet SX MC for 66lb braid use in nice conditions.

Bending out hooks, and very, very rarely losing a leader, even on roughest ground (as you can step down gear to a decent hook snood) is invaluable.

Also, whilst the initial cost of braid might be more than mono, it is a great deal cheaper in the long run. My braid lasts seasons, whereas I was changing spools of mono sometimes after one session if I had been snagged and snapped out, with fear I had weakened it.

No going back.
Ben

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ben,

Thanks for explanantion, much appreciated - I am a braid/multi virgin but becoming very tempted. It's easy to destroy a lot of mono with pulling out/stretching etc on the rough ground.

70+lb PP it is then!

Cheers
Musky

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Ben,

Thanks for explanantion, much appreciated - I am a braid/multi virgin but becoming very tempted. It's easy to destroy a lot of mono with pulling out/stretching etc on the rough ground.

70+lb PP it is then!

Cheers
Musky
Just one word of warning - I reckon that 66lb PP has a real world breaking strain of about 49lb's, so I only use circa 40lb amnesia with it, to ensure I don't lose entire end rig if snagged.
Great set up though, and you will love it.
Ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.