World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread was prompted (a) by a recent post in which somebody pointed out the rubbish left at Etive and (b) a visit at the weekend to Loch Achray in the Trossachs.

Seems that with the recent 'Freedom to Roam' change to the law, tents can now be pitched legally on any wild land without requiring permission from the land owner - hence the new term of 'wild camping'. During my stay at loch Achray I noticed the line of tents strung out along the shore and according the the hotel owner, every weekend is the same as the pike fishers move in and take up residence for a couple of days.

The extent of litter, damage and general nuisance caused by these piking wild campers has prompted the locals to mount a campaign to try to persuade local MPs and other public authority bodies to change the law so that such wild camping is made illegal in certain areas. At present, other than litter laws, there is no way the locals can protect the area from this type of abuse.

In these eco-sensitive times, I believe it is highly likely that there will be a backlash sooner or later against any identifiable group who are seen to be damaging the countryside, loch shores, beaches or coast and whilst I hope that the members of this forum are aware of their responsibilities, I would suggest that where possible, we make a point of picking up other people's rubbish when out at our marks

Not a new suggestion I know but after leaving Loch Achray, I kept thinking about the strength of local anger and the responsible pike anglers who one day may well find that enjoying an overnight session at that loch is no longer an option and who maybe now wished they had taken a couple of minutes to clear up the mess left by the minority.

Sermon ends....

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
This thread was prompted (a) by a recent post in which somebody pointed out the rubbish left at Etive and (b) a visit at the weekend to Loch Achray in the Trossachs.

Seems that with the recent 'Freedom to Roam' change to the law, tents can now be pitched legally on any wild land without requiring permission from the land owner - hence the new term of 'wild camping'. During my stay at loch Achray I noticed the line of tents strung out along the shore and according the the hotel owner, every weekend is the same as the pike fishers move in and take up residence for a couple of days.

The extent of litter, damage and general nuisance caused by these piking wild campers has prompted the locals to mount a campaign to try to persuade local MPs and other public authority bodies to change the law so that such wild camping is made illegal in certain areas. At present, other than litter laws, there is no way the locals can protect the area from this type of abuse.

In these eco-sensitive times, I believe it is highly likely that there will be a backlash sooner or later against any identifiable group who are seen to be damaging the countryside, loch shores, beaches or coast and whilst I hope that the members of this forum are aware of their responsibilities, I would suggest that where possible, we make a point of picking up other people's rubbish when out at our marks

Not a new suggestion I know but after leaving Loch Achray, I kept thinking about the strength of local anger and the responsible pike anglers who one day may well find that enjoying an overnight session at that loch is no longer an option and who maybe now wished they had taken a couple of minutes to clear up the mess left by the minority.

Sermon ends....
I gave up Scottish pike angling (from the shore anyway) as I was so disgusted with the carry-on of so called 'pike anglers'. Mind you the same would apply to the rainbow trout bait fishermen.
Drink, drugs and lines unattended for hours.:drunk:
Now I know there are responsible anglers trying to fish as well but there are a large number of idiots who show no respect for property, animals , fish or other people. And of course as a final mark of disrespect leave all their SH**E behind them.:punk:
I got a dinghy to get away from these numpties as much as anything.
First RANT of the day!:wallbash:

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
its a sad state of affairs this isnt it, i grew up in a national park and we were brought up to respect our surroundings and boy if we dropped any litter our backsides stung for days ,did these people not get told these things or did they just grow up in complete s*itholes that it didnt matter how much rubbish was left around but i can tell you this as a warning now after the summer is gone and only the regular anglers who fish all year are left it is we who are going to get the backlash from the locals its thier backyard and it is shown no respect ,my last visit to etive two feds came down for a chat about the rubbish being left as a complaint had been made, now as my previous posts have shown i either burn our rubbish or bag it and take it home some idiot had bagged it up and left it to rot on a fence post ,mackies from ammo ,not cheap they must be well off to throw it away although the police were fine i am sure they have got better things to do than check up on anglers who havnt got a clue about rubbish,all i can say is tidy up a mark as your waiting for the big bite we can only benefit ,and lets try and keep what we have THE RIGHT TO ROAM because it can be taken away as quickly as it was given:schmoll:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think the problem is with society as a whole, we live in a disposable age.If theres no bins within 10mm then it goes on the ground. I would guess that most of the so called anglers who leave mountains of rubbish behind, have been brought up in towns/cities where the local council spend millions on clearing up after them. Unless you are fishing in a tourist resort this ain't gonna happen :uhuh: . Whats the answer ?:g: totally re-educate society? don't think thats gonna happen either. Maybe its time that the goverment did something, but if they do it'll end up costing us the taxpayer again:uhuh: .This thread could run forever, i honestly don't know the answer to this massive problem, but something has to change

·
Registered
148 Posts
We spent most weekends this winter fishing the cliffs at Arbroath. Although we saw loads of bods fishing the numerous marks it was a rare occasion when we got to a mark that was full of litter. Not sure what they are doing there but it seems to be working. By the way when we did find litter it wasn't hard to put it in the bag with our rubbish - showed the laddie that the best way to leave a mark is the way you would expect to find it.

·
'Blast Beach Veteran'
3,034 Posts
Well i grew up fishing the rubbish strewn, coal industry blackened beaches of East Durham and we aways had a fire, there was that much to burn. And thats where our litter went. Now, living in Scotland and fishing the magnificent Scottish coastline and sea lochs, i cant for the life of me understand why 'anglers' walk away and leave THEIR rubbish behind. Leftover bait, throw it in the sea (minus packaging.) I prefer taking sometimes a dozen tinnies with me than a flask, (my mate drives) they're a lot lighter to carry home empty. All these people are doing is tarring all anglers with the same brush, and it aint fair, imho. Also, i read somewhere that it can take a single carrier bag 100 years to degrade, simple answer to that one then, fill it with 5hite and take the bass-tid home.
cheers bow.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
most marks me and the boys fish are always better than we left it you never know when the police will turn up i swear the police where waiting for us to do a wrong turn our last meet i could see them scanning the ground we where just there and already they where answering a complaint from the locals that was at the windsock

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I blame the parents. If they educated their kids properly, then we wouldn't have the litter problem.

exactly Dave .

if i tried too throw a bit paper on the ground when i was younger i would have got a " ticht backhander " lol.

i dont even have too say too my 2 kids , 4 and 7 yrs old they know too bin it.
pity alot off others dont do the same.

its very easy too take a empty carrier bag and then bin it after every session, nowt hard about it,

common sense really.

Andy.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
exactly Dave .

if i tried too throw a bit paper on the ground when i was younger i would have got a " ticht backhander " lol.

i dont even have too say too my 2 kids , 4 and 7 yrs old they know too bin it.
pity alot off others dont do the same.

its very easy too take a empty carrier bag and then bin it after every session, nowt hard about it,

common sense really.

Andy.
Aye, a know. I would've gotten a thick ear too.
If any of my lot drop anything, they're made to go pick it up .

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
it is certainly one of my pet hates, as a pike angler we try to educate through the pac and paas but most of the idiots that leave all their rubbish behind them wont join these clubs,sadly the majority of lochs in scotland that has easy access has this problem,most responsible pikers ,certainly the ones that i know and i know a good number always tidy the swim up before they start fishing plus they take their own litter home,

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Education education education!!!!!. We will never solve this problem but the least we can do is try and educate young anglers and begginers alike on the subject of litter.
Im blue in the face from telling my 10yr old daughter about picking up sweet wrappers and used tissues. I never give it a rest though, and wont until she gets off her lazy butt and does something about it.
As anglers we have a responsibility for ourselves and others to make sure the beaches, piers, and countryside are kept clean and environmentally friendly.

On saying that though, what chance do we have when supposedly responsible adults dump thousands of litres of human waste into a clean estuary....

Beyond belief is'nt it..

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Education education education!!!!!. We will never solve this problem but the least we can do is try and educate young anglers and begginers alike on the subject of litter.
Im blue in the face from telling my 10yr old daughter about picking up sweet wrappers and used tissues. I never give it a rest though, and wont until she gets off her lazy butt and does something about it.
As anglers we have a responsibility for ourselves and others to make sure the beaches, piers, and countryside are kept clean and environmentally friendly.

On saying that though, what chance do we have when supposedly responsible adults dump thousands of litres of human waste into a clean estuary....

Beyond belief is'nt it..

Who ever said it was clean Findus.

There is another report of a spillage of plastic pellets ( polymers) in the Forth too :unsure:

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is not just a pet hate, but something that P***** me off!!!. Unfortunately though we now live in an antisocial world, full of antisocial behaviour. I believe the problem rises from a lack of respect. People dont teach kids self respect, never mind respect for others or their surroundings. Sad state of affairs really, if you cant respect yourself, what chance has the environment got???

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Who ever said it was clean Findus.

There is another report of a spillage of plastic pellets ( polymers) in the Forth too :unsure:
yeap loads of them everywhere :uhuh:

G

·
most marks me and the boys fish are always better than we left it you never know when the police will turn up i swear the police where waiting for us to do a wrong turn our last meet i could see them scanning the ground we where just there and already they where answering a complaint from the locals that was at the windsock
Aye but if we keep cleaning up others mess then the police will get us on suspicion of inciting acts of tourism offences.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Aye but if we keep cleaning up others mess then the police will get us on suspicion of inciting acts of tourism offences.
lol we all run about cleaning up after ourselves and when thats done all the powers that be that hand out hefty penalties pump thousands of gallons of untreated sewage and plastic pellets wonder what the outcome will be for that a slap on the wrist or a fine i wonder how much damage that will do to the local ecosystems in that area i know it was unavoidable and had to be done but somebodys head should be on the block

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
lol we all run about cleaning up after ourselves and when thats done all the powers that be that hand out hefty penalties pump thousands of gallons of untreated sewage and plastic pellets wonder what the outcome will be for that a slap on the wrist or a fine i wonder how much damage that will do to the local ecosystems in that area i know it was unavoidable and had to be done but somebodys head should be on the block

Aye, i wouldn't like it to be mine.
Guaranteed some operative on the plant will get the blame, not the management.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is not just a pet hate, but something that P***** me off!!!. Unfortunately though we now live in an antisocial world, full of antisocial behaviour. I believe the problem rises from a lack of respect. People dont teach kids self respect, never mind respect for others or their surroundings. Sad state of affairs really, if you cant respect yourself, what chance has the environment got???
I agree with you mate, trouble is the kid's don't get disiplined like they used to, they can basically do as they like, when i was a wee boy the village bobby would give you a clip round the ear or teacher's would give out proper displine, the kid's today no they have nothing to fear and thats part of the problem.

Baz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts