World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here goes...
i had this idea, someone told me of a story where a lad took about 4' of line and attatched link swivel to one end and a big hook to the other, he then cast out with no rig just the lead on a roton bottom. after that he hooked a mackeral flapper onto the hooklength with the swiel, clipped that to the mainlne and let it slide down for conger. He was apparently very successful!!!!

This got me thinkng, i know it is impossible to cast a live bait any distance, but if u were to recreate this rig with say a two ounce drilled lead crimped tight to the swivel to add weight could a live joey mackeral (or any other live bait) be slid down, arriving in the sea in alot better nick than if it had been cast?!?!?

Has any one tried anything like this, i know it isn't feasable in alot of situations, but it seems like it migh work in somewhere like the straights.
the boat lads seem to do so well using live mackeral for big bas from the boats,
If anyone can understand that what do u think?
Cheers Tozer

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Tozer, if the water is deep enough to catch mackerel, you dont need to cast your livebait far, the bass are under the mackerel shoal waiting to pounce on any stragglers.
A gentle "lob" will put your mackerel in a vulnerable position, away from the shoal, & desperately trying to get back to it, making him stick out like a sore thumb, & WHAM! its Vive le Difference!
blueskip

·
Registered
990 Posts
We somtimes use this method off our breakwater in Alderney to get a large bait out onto the sand. Should work for livebaits too but mackerel have a fairly short lifespan when liphooked, I dont think they can swim around enough to get the oxygen through the gills.
Hopefully it'll get nailed by a bass in a few minutes anyway :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah well, i thought it was a good idea anyway, i'm jus never really in a position to use that sort of thing, i am gonna try it for conger tho, it can be nigh on impossible to cast a bait th size of a whole mackeral.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I read about the exact same technique in an excellent book written by John Darling (written over 20 years ago). I haven't tried it out myself yet, but I did think it was the perfect solution for delivering live bait still alive.

·
Registered
990 Posts
We also use the small baited hook fixed to a big hook to fish livebaits. Little hook catches pout then just leave it out there and wait! Not gonna hook a mackerel though, unless you get one on the drop :p

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I used to use this method years ago with live sandeel. Works where you have a good tide run. Cast slightly down tide with a fixed grip lead, let it settle and clip on your trace. You don't need any weight just hold the rod as high as you can and keep the line tight. Gravity and tide will take the eel out and all the time it is in the water it is fishing for you. I used to use Wydex circle hooks to self hook the fish as it is impossible to strike until the link reaches your weight so you need a self hooking hook.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sumo said:
Thats a great idea!! :eek:
I can see a few pouting going for a wee ride! :D
LOL thats one way of putting it!!! :D

I hadn't realised it had done before, there was me thiking i was being original!!!
I can seee i working well with live launce, i was also thinking that it would keep the fish up in the water and stop it hiding or wrapping itself around a snag. But i should probably try these things before post it up on here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use this method in the summer when bottom fishing. Make up a trace with a rubber eel, clip on one end, cast out, and clip the eel trace on the line, and let it slowly find it's way down,, you can also use a long thin strip of squid as an eel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i use the pout idea a lot, using a pennel rig made up with a size 4aberdeen and half a lug below a 3/0 mustard bass hook. a pout or poor cod takes the bait and is left for a bass, (or cod in winter) to find. wham, pout supper... if you dont catch a bass? well at least you gotta little pout to save a blank... :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds like a good idea, do u tie the bigger hook onto th trace like a spade end hook, or jus fis it in place by twisting it lke on a normal pennel?
Also the i don't atch many pout, the only ones i've caught from what i can gather have been quite bg for the species, one of about 8 ounces and one of about 12, tho i guess small whiting would hve the same effect

·
Registered
12 Posts
twist it on, or as i do, learn how to tie a carp fishermans hair rig. thats the best, strongest way. any small round fish will do, im sure the bass wont turn its nose up at it! to be honest i only fish live baits 40-60yrds out form the shore, so im just as happy lobbing out a mackeral fillet, (the whole side, gills to tail,) on a pennel. any big bass in the area will just as quickly wolf this down as quick as any live bait. a live bait has the advantage of causing a disturbance by struggling though, which appeals to the bass' predatory nature. i would be happiest fishing thids on an evening/night flood tide, in the 'littoral zone' where all the crap is washed around and collects by the wave action. just where a predator expects to find a dead fish.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
Hi. This is one of my favourite methods to fish a pouting, or to keep a mackerel from charging about too much if the spot is busy with anglers. But the best use of this technique I have seen is in Namibia, where the competition anglers use it to get livebaits/damned big dead baits a long way out, by the use of a non-return sliding swivel. By keep working the rod, the bait ends up a long long way out!!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i guess i take it that it works then, i'm gonna try it tonigh i'm oing out for a night session tonight, having never caught one i'm hoping to pick up a conger as well

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I'm sure I've seen this method described for catching Garfish when already fishing on the bottom i.e. You're fishing quite happily with your rig on the bottom and you fancy fishing surface to mid-water. So you prepare a second trace and allow it to slide down the line using a mixture of gravity and and tide. I have a feeling that there may have been a small stop knot on the line to keep the 'slider' in mid-water. I've a feeling it's in the Sea Angler book of Rigs and baits with the man Yates doing the describing??

I'm sure the word is STRAITS you know rather than STRAIGHTS????

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry swelley,bad habits are hard to brake i will try better next time!!!
i think i read something similar, using a float, but it just got me thinking as to how best to put a live bait out a fair distance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I Can Assure You Use This Method On The West Wall At Brighton Marina And Hold Your Rod Or Lose It. Ive Seen Doubles Come Up And Rods Vanish In Seconds (be Warned) Its A Killer Method For The Big Boys Yes Bass

1 - 18 of 18 Posts