World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Beefcake,

There are many ways of doing this. My favourite is to bind two 4/0 - 5/0 - or 6/0 hooks together back to back. Tie a 6 - 8 foot trace through the eyes of the hooks and a swivel on the other end.

When you bait up, put one of the hooks through the top of the Mackerels mouth and the other hook through the bottom of its mouth. This allows the fish's mouth to open and shut normally.

Slowly drop your weight to the bottom, your weight must always be in contact with the bottom. I will guarantee that the first Bass to see the Mackerel will have it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Beefcake,

Take two identical long shank hooks e.g. 6/0's. Place the shanks together so that the points are opposite each other, then take a length of thin mono and bind the shanks together. Any mono will do as long as it binds the two hook shanks.

If you PM me your e-mail address I will send you a photograph.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Small joey mack I hooh the same as sandeel, through the mouth, out of the gill and nick the hook in the belly.

Larger mack I use 2 methods. Use a crochet hook to pass an elastic band through the nostrils and then tie this onto a large hook. If you have the band pretied to the hook it is really quick to pop the mack on the band and tie off the other side back to the hook. The other method is to use a gang hook. Use your normal 5/0 whatever and tie a 1/0 to the bend. Use the 1/0 just behind the mack's head to hold it on and the 5/0 to catch whatever goes for it.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I thought you wanted to know how to hook live macks for wrecking, I am lost, where does casting come in to it?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
No problem, just a bit hard to follow.

You can cast a live bait but anything other than a very gentle lob will kill it when it hits the water.

If you want to get a live bait out a distance try to use the current or wind and use a float to take it out. The other way is to cast out a lead only. Tighten up your line and use a link clip to clip on the trace holding your live bait. Hold the rod as high as you can and gravity should take the bait out. This works best on deep water marks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have never fished with live mackerel but with mackerel caught and cut almost immediately (half alive!)

Sick but plenty blood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts