World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Am off bassing off the IOW with on Silver spray out of Poole in a few weeks, useing live mackey for bait, what size hook should I use !! ?

Tight Lines Jon

G

·
6/0 wide gape single if you pan on returning some
Or
1/0 Treble if you hope for mainly keepers.

Check out some past threads about the fishing before you go Jon.

There are some awesome techniques you can employ on the reefs and banks.

Don't go over the top on rod size.
If you are brave then a medium spinning rod.
If you are sensible then a 1.75lb to 2.25lb Carp rod
If you like winching them in then a 12lb class boat rod +

PS: Although joey mackerel are preferrable, even a small Bass will hit a large mackerel. It is just the hook up rate begins to drop with the bigger baits.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Go big and Sharp- I like the varivas 8/0 BMX hooks from veals for live mackeral drifting for Bass. Hook inside mouth then up point thru' just in front of nostrils

G

·
Are you going to Float fish... or are you fishing long trace it:g::g::g: it helps to no....

Kris.
I agree Kris

There are some superb techniques, some of which are described on here if you do a search.

Ask your skipper the preferred technique, get his advice and then top it up with more info here.

Tom

:secret:Depends on where you are fishing, the float technique (it's float fishing, but not as you know it) is absolutely superb fun.

·
Registered
464 Posts
IMHO the key to this kind of fishing is the sharpness of the hook. Not just the size. I've seen "Meat hooks" come up with chewed baits and missed fish. Where smaller, sharper hooks have done the trick.

Ask Skipper Andy when you get on the boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts