World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been recently trying live baiting around the Cardiff / Penarth area every time im out on the boat 1-2 times a week usually using a whiting about 7 inches long as of yet no success has anyone tried this method in this area to any avail or am I wasting my time?
cheers muddy323

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi Mate, I fished out of Panarth a few years back in a cometition and asked the same question to the skipper of the boat, in the hope for a conger or a cod. I was told that it was a pointless exercise in the coloured water because the fish feed from scent mainly so unless a predatory fish comes along and bumps into Mr Whiting then i would'nt bother personally. If you have the room on the boat, leave one out all day and fish with other setups and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Really surprised you've not picked up anything decent on live whiting if you're using it regularly.

I've done well for cod, thornbacks, congers and blondes with live whiting, congers and thornback are normally the first to get to it.

With that said, some times it doesn't work and the whiting gets ignored. I've noticed it can be better to add it on the bottom hook of a pennel loaded up with other bait (worm etc) that way you get both scent and vibration / stress signals. That often works better than worm or whiting fished independently.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What you need to do is build a big Lug/Squid bait on a pennel reg then hook the Whiting on the bottom hook although this often happens naturally as the small Whiting attack the bait.
I remember bringing a double figure Cod in to the boat off Swansea and before netting it noticed a Whiting on the top hook looking a bit chewed that had attached itself.When it was netted and being unhooked there was another Whiting down its throat on the bottom hook along with two squid and 5 black lug.
The other way might be to use a big mesh swimfeeder to provide the attraction but the Cod would probably eat that too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you need to do is build a big Lug/Squid bait on a pennel reg then hook the Whiting on the bottom hook although this often happens naturally as the small Whiting attack the bait.
I remember bringing a double figure Cod in to the boat off Swansea and before netting it noticed a Whiting on the top hook looking a bit chewed that had attached itself.When it was netted and being unhooked there was another Whiting down its throat on the bottom hook along with two squid and 5 black lug.
The other way might be to use a big mesh swimfeeder to provide the attraction but the Cod would probably eat that too.

il try this thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
i have been recently trying live baiting around the Cardiff / Penarth area every time im out on the boat 1-2 times a week usually using a whiting about 7 inches long as of yet no success has anyone tried this method in this area to any avail or am I wasting my time?
cheers muddy323
if you think about it, it is quite a cruel and unnessasery way to fish:(.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you think about it, it is quite a cruel and unnessasery way to fish:(.

your right but it is also cruel to thread a worm on a hook if you want to look at it that way, and fishing its self is also cruel to an extent ! puncturing a fishes mouth with a hook or worse if the fish swallows the hook all for our own enjoyment

·
Registered
827 Posts
your right but it is also cruel to thread a worm on a hook if you want to look at it that way, and fishing its self is also cruel to an extent ! puncturing a fishes mouth with a hook or worse if the fish swallows the hook all for our own enjoyment
It breaks my heart and I cry buckets every time I pull the legs off a peeler crab...there's just no need for it.......lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts