World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used liver before as bait from the shore. I tried it once as a cocktail with lugworm but blanked, on saying that everyone blanked that day.
You would think the blood would attract a few species such as cod,conger,ling etc.

What i did notice though was it came back in almost white like the saltwater had bleached it.
I would be interested to know of any results using liver (shore or boat).

Also wondered if it would make a good pike bait.

(Was pigs liver that was used before)..... cheers:) :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've caught two species off the shore using liver as bait.
Bronze Whaler sharks and Mullet.

Neither of them in this country though.

Pel.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
you have me thinking now...........aint tried Liver.........but have been using
Steak in pieces and minced for chub fishing for yrs to good effect.
Dont see why you couldnt adopt the same principal for liver on float tackle
with minced liver/steak with bread crumb as groundbait for mullet /wrass,
Again im not sure which species respond better to a blood trail,
but if scent is the key......give it a go..i will be.
Cheers
Gaz

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I could see that it would make a good grounbait. Perhaps miced and mixed into your rubby dubby for Tope fishing or used in a feeder for bass fishing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
:g: never even considered it,theres got to be a killer bait out there somewhere which no one has thought of yet!!,if i ever discover it i'll tell everyone (eventually).:secret: :roll1:

·
Registered
79 Posts
used liver a few times but never caught ,it just looks the perfect bait though,maybe putting it in with a few mackie fillets and leaving overnight in an icecream tub might see an improvement in the catch rate....:g:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
In the eighties I used liver for flounder and eels on the Humber Bank. Cut into strips and leave in the sun a bit to harden it up.... works well. Have had whiting and dogs on it a couple of years back from Watchet as an experiment.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
How do you get the fava beans and the cheap chianti to stay on the hook?

philtherod

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
For Jew fish it needs to be cooked, chopped finely, mixed with chopped onion, clarified chicken fat and mazos meal and sprinkled with chopped hard boiled egg.

Mmmmm. Sod the fish let me at it!!

Afishionado

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Much better between two slices of bread! Although i have heard of people catching bass and mullet on small pieces of bacon before.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers lads- some good info there and er some cooking tips. lol. will deffo give it another go at some point.
Think i might also try a wobbled sausage.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts