World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out earlier today with a view to fishing the last hour of the ebb and then a couple of hours of the flood at Llanddulas…

On arriving at the car park, I noticed 5 or 6 caravans parked up and obviously had been there some time as they had dog kennels and bits of scrap lying around them although generally not as bad as some "sites" I've seen.

After parking up the other side of the carpark and I made my way down to the beach, set up and proceeded to feed the crabs..

The fish were not co operating and there was a lot of weed being washed in..

About 6pm there was suddenly a lot of coming and going of vans and pick-ups in the car park, enough to make me feel uneasy about being down there by myself as darkness fell and my vehicle basically unattended so I packed up and called it a night..

Speaking to a couple of locals after I packed up, it seems the same group was parked elsewhere in the village but had been moved on..There are some "no overnight parking / camping" signs near the caravans, but they have mysteriously been sprayed out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Cheers for sharing useful info Pete :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
hi pete,apart from the doggers and gypsys, its my fav bait fishing mark,on it's day,there are some great Bass to be had,in a nice surf!!.also plaice,smoothys,huss,conger,flounder....it was very prolific for sole,many years ago!! too!!..but for some reason,when the dragons teeth were put in,they disappeared....:mad:...don't discount lures too??...iv'e seen over 100 Bass come out,in one weekend,many years ago...on toby's!!!...and plugs...oly...

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi pete,apart from the doggers and gypsys, its my fav bait fishing mark,on it's day,there are some great Bass to be had,in a nice surf!!.also plaice,smoothys,huss,conger,flounder....it was very prolific for sole,many years ago!! too!!..but for some reason,when the dragons teeth were put in,they disappeared....:mad:...don't discount lures too??...iv'e seen over 100 Bass come out,in one weekend,many years ago...on toby's!!!...and plugs...oly...
Speaking to one of the locals fishing up the beach and he was saying that on the Saturday evening, there was a good blow on, and it "was a bass a chuck" at times but on the Sunday, he and his OH had blanked up dusk although he may have connected after I left..

It seems to be very snaggy in places there..I lost three leads, but found another walking off and as I said the weed was quite bad...

Is there anything in the river around the foot bridge? I am not sure if its considered "tidal" or not, but I am guessing the sea does wash in on a high tide?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
you need to keep on top of that beach, have a look at low,on a big tide,some cracking gulleys...but,after a blow,that nice muddy,clean gulley,could be full of rocks,next time you go...I fish it 1.down to 2 after h.t.....over high best...also cod to 6lbs from nov onwards....crab is the top bait...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have seen small brown trout caught upstream of the bridge and on big tides sea-trout will cross the weir to enter the river ... know someone who has caught them on the seaward side of the weir. Was on the car park getting set-up for some bass luring a couple of months ago and was approached by 2 NRW officers who pulled up in a van alongside me. They asked what I was going fishing for and I started chatting to them about some of the abuses of bass that I have seen in that area and how nice it was to see fisheries officers showing an interest. They were sympathetic but told me that they had no control over sea fishing and were only interested in sea-trout fishing in the river (above the weir).

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Hiya Oly, that's a post to tempt a fisherman if ever there was one eh? Just about mentioned every top species a man could want lol. Great bit of coast line and interestingly, seems to stand apart from either Colwyn or Pensarn either side.

So the sole thing, was that a regular occurrence? And that day with the mega bass turnout, can you remember any more about it? Seems like there's a tale in all that worth telling...

Cheers
Tim :coffee:

Reactions: the basslegend

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
hi tim,many years ago the sole we're there,when the colwyn bay bass festival was running.i came across the bass by chance,using a dexter wedge...for mackerel...I should of kept it quiet..major mistake!!:mad:...told 4 others,and 1 of them totally abused it,and took an onion sack home full of bass!!..inc 8lb+ fish...like I said,over 100 bass,came out,on that weekend..i missed out because of work...when I got to go,on the Monday,they had moved on!!!:(..gutted!! I don't fish with this person anymore...I gave him so much input,he abused the marks,by taking prime breeding females..so greedy...the odd 4lb fish ok..but he mass slaughtered the big breeding females!!:mad:...so as you see now,i try not to post much,on here,i stick to the lure forum!!...I never fished for the sole,as you need small baits,and hooks....but they we're there in numbers...regards..oly...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yep matey, sent you a pm

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
All marks fish differently from one tide to the next, the secret is knowing when! Which way the wind is blowing, what height of tide, bait, where exactly to fish, how far to cast, homework is the answer and experience!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just a quick addition.
Drove along the A55 this afternoon around 4pm, was stationary in traffic on the top of the brow just by the turn off for the above. Out to sea (probably about 1-200yards offshore) there was a feeding frenzy of gulls & the water was boiling, so much I could see it!!
Must be something there, either that or a swimmer just did the biggest [email protected] in the history of mankind.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Think the world and his dog knows that!
As I have said you need to do some work to know when and where to fish to be successful

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not really time, effort and homework work wonders

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update...Called in today with a view to fishing the afternoons low tide, and the problem is now worse than ever. Last time, the carvans were confined to one end of the car park, but today there looks to be twice as many and they are spread over the entire parking area and the place looks a mess...

I would have thought the Council would have moved them on by now, but maybe its not actually Council land? Needless to say, I didn't stop to fish....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts