World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We, my son and I (both novice sea anglers) are going to Wales in two weeks, staying at Llandissilio, North of Tenby, East of St Davids. Its inland and I am looking for some advice as to which coast/ towns/villages to head for, decent Marks, what could we catch and what are the best times to go.
Can anyone help? :fishing1:

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
What type of fishing would you like to do fella?

Easy fishing marks include the harbour walls at Tenby and Saundersfoot. You'll get Mackeral, Dogfish, Gurnard etc at both these venues. Could try Hobbs point in Pembroke Dock..its on the Cleddau and pretty easy fishing and well sheltered..here you'll be looking at dogs and maybe thornback rays.

Numerous rock marks within say 30 minutes drive where you'll get wrasse, pollack, mackeral etc...Stackpole, Manobier, Marloes to name but a few.

Then you have the open "storm" beaches at Pendine, Amroth, Freshwater West....more likely to get some bass and flatties here.

If you be a bit more specific to the type of fishing you'd like to do then can help out with some more marks

One good bit of advice i'll offer is to call in and see Martin in Anglers Corner in Milford Haven...he'll be able to sort you out with where is fishing and for what...plus he can supply you with quality bait and tackle. He and his wife Sandra fish locally every weekend so are always up to date with whats happening

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats brilliant thanks
As I say we are novices so when you say what type of fishing I am a little unsure what you mean, if you mean what type of fish then we are looking for Mackeral, Bass, Pollack (something you could eat if big enough!) unsure as to the other species you mention, however as novices catching anything would be a bonus.
I am happy to get off the beaten track and go to unsheltered spots and will definately pop into Anglers Corner.
Cheers fella great advice
Craig

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Thats brilliant thanks
As I say we are novices so when you say what type of fishing I am a little unsure what you mean, if you mean what type of fish then we are looking for Mackeral, Bass, Pollack (something you could eat if big enough!) unsure as to the other species you mention, however as novices catching anything would be a bonus.
I am happy to get off the beaten track and go to unsheltered spots and will definately pop into Anglers Corner.
Cheers fella great advice
Craig
Ok..now I know that you are fairly new to the sea fishing I can possibly give you a few more pointers.

Most of the rock marks...Stackpole, St Davids, Manobier..tend to be "rough ground" marks..by that I mean that the bottoms are generally tackle hungry...In other words you are likely to end up losing lots of gear.

I'm not trying to put you off going...far from it...Stackpole is a lovely place and well worth a visit...just maybe think about changing tactics. Instead of bottom fishing try spinning with lures such as Toby's, dexter Wedges etc. You'll get your mackeral and pollack...and possibly bass...that way but keep tackle losses down. Or you could try float fishing using strips of mackeral or ragworm for bait...again you'll get pollack and also wrasse.

Hope I'm not "teaching your granny to suck eggs" as it were...just nothing worse than seeing novices getting frustrated at getting stuck solid every time they cast out.

I'm down that way most weekends and for a week from 27th so i guess i'm there the same time. Most of my fishing is from my own boat nowadays but I'll be more than willing to meet up and give you a few pointers if you want. PM me if you like.

Definately call into Anglers Corner..tell Martin that Matt from Amroth sent you.

Might be an idea if you asked a Moderator..again by PM...if they could move this post to the South Wales section...you might get more replies and offers of help.

All the best Craig

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts