World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good work Fish!!

Where abouts did you fish mate and what baits???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drive to rhosili car park .
go down steps by pub ,at bottom turn left and fish close to the cliffs as tides comes in u,ll have to slowly move to the right.thought i,d give it a go cause winter fishing been crap and reports of bass still being caught everywhere.m8s told me wouldn,t catch anything as only a summer venue proved them wrong once again.
baits used was ragworm and mack but rag worked best going sat if u want to tag along.hope that helps

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!

I'd love to get out over the weekend but i've got a wedding to go to on sat..may try sunday??!!

Cheers mate, Pottsy

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Fished the Ledges today from before low water up until dark (about 5.00) not a bite! tried lug rag, squid, fresh razor gathered at low water, nothing! Fished until the swells were breaking over the ledge, so got out of there & did "the climb" in fast approaching darkness.
Good job we caught nothing! the climb killed me, & I remember when I was in University in 1977 me & my mate used to fish it as often as 3 times a week! Today's visit was officially my last ever to "the ledges" I leave them to the youngsters!
blueskip

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hard luck Blueskip..

What do the ledges fish like in the summer months??? Probably good Bass to be had down that way but i've also heard of tope coming off the end..
Any comments??

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Its a reasonably good venue in summer, especially on late evening tides when the mackerel come in, live mackerel free lined will take Bass, & Tope, but it can get crowded on good tides which makes free lining difficult.
Spinning will produce as well, but I reckon the Worm Causeway is the best in summer, if you are going to walk that far anyway, fishing crab in the gullies on a rising tide, (keeping one eye on the tide) has got to be the method, either legered, or float fished.
I have always reckoned on the ledges being a good winter venue, good whiting, dabs (best 1.25 lbs), & the occasional cod, alas no more for me, & I think its getting late in the year for everybody, unless we have a prolonged cold spell (unlikely this late) it would have been next Oct before the ledges come really "alive" for me.
Give them a try, & keep note of catches, tide times/heights, wind direction/speed, I used to know when I could expect to catch given tide & weather, when I could go down without bait (collect razor, clams, whelks) & tackle! there is always tackle to be collected on low water of big tides!
blueskip

·
Registered
281 Posts
when you say llangennith beach, are you fishing the rocks in rossili bay?

how far do yuo have to cast on that beach? its so flat, i find it extremely difficult to get any depth

·
Registered
171 Posts
just a lob of 30 yards or so ,and i find low water best 2 hrs either side

·
Registered
33 Posts
u gonna need waders to get into any depth of water. Tho distance here is not that essential for the flatties or bass during the summer. nice venue but surfers love it here and you may have to walk a distance to get some space. So evenings and early mornings are better .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts