World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Went down to Llangennith yesterday evening to fish the last of the flood and an hour down. Turned up there at about 6:45, parked in Hillend and headed to the beach. Every time I've fished there before I've headed left towards the White House, so went right and down past the river. Had the entire section of beach past the river to myself :clap: So went down a little bit, found some decent looking surf and set up. 3 hook flapper with size 4 hooks and a 2oz lead was the choice.

In the water at just past 7. First hour was pretty quiet and tide racing in. Just dropped the rig about 10 yards in front and let the tide do the rest. I never seem to get on with 2oz leads...even holding the rod I feel there isn't enough contact. Maybe I'm just not subtle enough! Missed 2 bites through over-eagerness, but at least I knew there were fish there!

Decided to switch to a slightly heavier weight of 4oz to see if that helped. 15 minutes later and bang! A proper, hard bite! Took my time and managed to bring my first ever Golden Grey to shore...decent size too I think. I don't take scales with me and don't catch enough fish to be able to judge how heavy they are! Was going to measure it but some people starting talking to me as I landed it and I decided it had spent too long out of the water for me to go and get the tape measure...so a quick photo on the phone and he was away. Feeling slightly elated, I didn't care what happened for the rest of the session! :fishing:

Rebaited and got back out there! 20 minutes later and another great take...it's a great feeling when you are holding the rod and that happens! Another GG...this one was quite a bit smaller but seemed to fight a lot. I did 'play' it a bit more gently though and enjoyed seeing it storm about in the water table...great fun on a bass rod! Straight back for him!

Went a little bit quieter then for half an hour. Then a tentative little bite...wasn't sure if it was the lead moving about...nope, it was definitely a fish...brought in a flounder of about 12 inches. Deep hooked though sadly and despite my best efforts I couldn't get it out with long forceps or a disgorger. It started bleeding a bit so decided to put it out of his misery. :sad: Generally I'm a catch and release kind of guy and just enjoy catching fish but this was necessary I felt.

30 mins later and another nibble...quicker strike and another flounder. Slightly smaller and liphooked perfectly. :thumbs: Quick pic and straight back.

By now it was top tide and dark...was hoping for a bonus bass and sure enough one came knocking. Only a small schoolie, but a bass nonetheless. Quick pic, straight back. Fished till about 11 and then decided to pack up and head back...those sand flea things were biting the heck out of my ankles and getting on my nerves and I was chasing the tide. I'd had a great evening though and returned very happy.

Will put pics up later once I've downloaded them to the PC!

Take care all :fishing1:

·
England Team Captain
30,611 Posts
Excellent report mate :thumbs:

Sounds like a cracking session........... :fishing:

·
Registered
784 Posts
what bait was you using mate,cracking report

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys! It was a great few hours! :thumbs:

Daio: Was using Maddies. Went and got a tenners worth and used about 3/4 of them. I've had more success with bass on Lugworm down there previously though...depends what you want though. I think that the vast majority of people go for maddies down there due to the mullet! And I don't blame them!! :fishing:

Wyting: I couldn't get over the size of some the fleas! Looked big enough to stick on the hook!! Definitely wellies next time...regardless of the weather!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
well done on a great trip, one strategic change of set up makes a difference, or one is more confident with ones end tackle.

·
Fishing Addict
1,673 Posts
well done m8 great report there by the way :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts