World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know this beach area by Cardiff and if so what state of the tides do you usually fish it ? Got a couple of hours spare tomorrow and would like to get me first bass of the summer !!!

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marcus,

I think thats probably the place - Im not used to these here welsh names just yet !

Ive got a few hours free tomorrow evening and wandered if fishing from 6ish through til 10pm might give me a chance of a few bass or flounder ? Have you any ideas if this is possible on the low tide and then the flood ?

Cheers mate

·
Registered
23 Posts
Marcus,

I'm not sure what Llantwit is doing at the moment, I have'nt been down there for years. When I did go there usually ended up fishing off the cliffs towards Tresillian Bay or the other way towards Stout point.
If you have transport consider Witches Point at Southerdown which you can fish either hi or low.
If your trip coincides with low water try Aberthaw near the power station outlets, this use to be v good spinning for bass, east Aberthaw is also good for bull huss.
Have a look at www.fiskies.me.uk
Cheers
Valeman

G

·
Valeman said:
Marcus,

I'm not sure what Llantwit is doing at the moment, I have'nt been down there for years. When I did go there usually ended up fishing off the cliffs towards Tresillian Bay or the other way towards Stout point.
If you have transport consider Witches Point at Southerdown which you can fish either hi or low.
If your trip coincides with low water try Aberthaw near the power station outlets, this use to be v good spinning for bass, east Aberthaw is also good for bull huss.
Have a look at www.fiskies.me.uk
Cheers
Valeman
I have always fancied fishing Witches at or just before low water. What do you get around low water at Witches?? I know what it is like towards high water very close in on the float :) but never low, it looks good for that! And I assume that it fishes better at night as well!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is Aberthaw any good for fishing for bass on the flood tide then - bait ?

I will be fishing the incoming tide tomorrow evening so is this worth a go or should I go for Llantwit ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Phil,

Witches at low water can produce fish, I must admit I have never fished it using a float. I would imagine there will be mackeral there and bass this time of year if you fancy spinning, I have never seen a pollack caught there though ! Night time is probably better due to the potential for ray (ledgering). There is a ledge to the left of the point which is again v good for ray. This also can produce doggies nearly every bite which is good fun.

Tommy,

West Aberthaw is best fished at low water, especially around the outlets, drive through Gileston onto the beach car-park and they will be slightly to your left about half a mile from you (big flat concrete things). If you are fishing on the bottom be prepared to loose tackle. Anything can be caught here, including the odd bass in the winter, plenty of congers, spurdogs. Try either spinning into the outlet stream into the sea (redgill eels used to be good), or dropping a bait into the stream, I have seen more than one double figure bass come this way with only a cast of 30 yards !
East Aberthaw is the place for spurdog and I have heard bullhuss. Travel on the coast road to East Aberthaw and you will see a ruined lime kiln on your right (tall red brick chimney) park by there and you will see the coast in front of you. The old course of the river Thaw is still visible and you will see relatively clean ground, this is the area to put your bait, if you can, try devon peelers, otherwise fresh mackerel/squid. This place also produces quality bass.
Good luck lads
Valeman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts