World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend any good marks on the Llyn for shore fishing for pollack? Wouldnt be able to manage those treacherous ledges opposite bardsey but general rock ok.

really wanner catch my first pollack from the shore on a plu or spinner etc.

Also - do tides matter or is dawn/dusk more important?

ta

Will H

manchester

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not all the ledges overlooking Bardsey sound are treacherous. Just to the right of St Marys Well is quite easy to get to. Most of the rocky points between Nefyn and Porth Oer are accessible and are good for pollack. Never made my mind up about tides. Just when I think one stage of tide is best for fishing from the rocks something will happen to make me change my mind. Try the last of the ebb and first of the flood. Dawn and dusk are best but you will catch pollack in the middle of the day. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some easy access rock marks to the left of Porth Oer. Plenty of small pollack and some big ones in between, my best from there was 6.5lb.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,989 Posts
Can anyone recommend any good marks on the Llyn for shore fishing for pollack? Wouldnt be able to manage those treacherous ledges opposite bardsey but general rock ok.

really wanner catch my first pollack from the shore on a plu or spinner etc.

Also - do tides matter or is dawn/dusk more important?

ta

Will H

manchester
You will catch from most rocky marks round here.
As said in previous post 'forget state of tide', if using lures work them at a steady constant pace etc.
The most important thing for me is being there 'first light' and 'last thing'.

·
Registered
74 Posts
great post billy boy ...can just add a bit more and ask what are the best lures to work of these marks ....cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Porth Iago is not a bad mark although most of the fish are small - a 4-pounder would be a clonker off there! - either that or I've been very unlucky over the years! Float-fished sandeel is very effective as is casting a Dexter wedge or a slug-go. Just look out over the sea for choppy areas on a calm day and aim for these - they mark local tide-rips.

September onwards is best.

The Cardiac Hill ledges offer some very good fishing at times but they are quite a challenge, steep and strenuous to locate and strictly to be left alone in onshore winds above about a 4 or wet weather. But the St Marys Well ledges mentioned above are gentler - the comments about rough seas or rain still apply though. Bardsey Sound is one place that you don't want to slip & fall in!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Porth Ysgaden
West of the car park HW +/-1 otherwise its not huge depth but plenty of easy pollack float fished sandeel, all under 3lbs

Porth Iago
Fish where there's a visible flow, that's when and where the pollack feed. Big casts into the rip with 2oz lead and trace leading to redgill, any plastic eel like artificial etc. Allow it to sink down, but wind like buggery half way through the retrieve or you'll lose the lot.

Uwchmynydd
Not that dangerous actually in dry weather, at the prev. suggested areas but again, work in the current through the kelp.

At both these last two marks look out for crab pots, work out which way the current's going and allow for about 30 metres of rope upstream of the marker buoy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - keep em coming!

Is Porth Oer or whistlings sands also wortha atry?

many thanks

Will

·
Registered
952 Posts
the beach itself isnt good for pollack, however the rocks to the left are ok for pollack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts