World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Want to load 50lb braid onto my fin nor marquesa ma20. Should I be putting a mono backing on before the braid as been given conflicting advice on this. Reel is being used for wreck fishing hence the 50lb braid.

Thanks for any advice

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Hi, How much line are you putting on the spool?. It will take 530 yrs(484m) of 50 lbs braid?. Ok i take it that you have a spool of braid 300 m of 50 lb, then you need to bulk the reel spool by the difference with mono say (184m) depends on the diameter of the mono, and tie on the braid and fill the reel spool, if you have 500 m of 50 lb braid then just load the spool until you top the reel spool.

G

·
Make sure you load the braid under a little tension, wet cloth and pinch line between forefinger and thumb. If you don't it will be poorly loaded and a good possibility of a very snatchy clutch if fighting a reasonable fish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry the reel is a MA12 not an MA20. Last time I loaded it with 30lb braid but it wasn't strong enough and I think it took a whole spool of power pro with a little bit of backing. Is the backing necessary? This time my spool of braid is 300m.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get the mrs to hold the spool of braid with gloves and usually I put the braid through the rod onto the reel and wind it on under decent tension.

G

·
The mono is only there to bulk up the spool and give you a faster retrieve, you don't need it but it makes sense to use it if you don't wish to completely fill your spool with braid.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Sorry the reel is a MA12 not an MA20. Last time I loaded it with 30lb braid but it wasn't strong enough and I think it took a whole spool of power pro with a little bit of backing. Is the backing necessary? This time my spool of braid is 300m.
No problem, the backing is not necessary fill the spool with the 300m 50lb.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Whatever you do, if you are connecting braid directly onto the spool you'll need to anchor it, either by a short length of mono backing or electricians tape directly onto the spool. Some reels have spools you can tie braid directly to, that provides the anchor, but most don't.

If you don't anchor it, the whole lot will rotate on the spool when it's under pressure and you won't be able to wind in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
also, if you put a bit of mono as backing on the spool first, it will cushion the crushing of the braid. I have done without mono and the 30lb braid I put on the reel, burst the spool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts