World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
is anyone on here know their stuff with lobster crates ? i live in south east and do a lot of shore fishing but i also fish from my jetski i launch at littlehampton.
quite want to take a couple of lobster crates out with me next time back never done this before so need to do some research.

do any locals know where i could buy a couple and how much?
what do you bait them with and how long do you leave them out for ?
are you likely to catch anything? is it only lobsters youll get?
how far out should i put them?

cheers, if anyone in the south has any i could buy pls let me know, or anyone in manchester im trucking up there tomorrow !!

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
I've got a large one, not sure a jetski would be it's best mode of transport though, if you can collect you can have it for a tenner, it's a bit tatty looking but a fully functional south coast commercial trap,

·
12,847 Posts
Ps, put them next or in the reefs ideally, depth no important but be sure robbing gits can't get em from shore- that's why I stopped using mine. Use gps when setting and small markers that will be missed if not looked for, stops the other less scrupulous boat / yacht owners from checking it on your behalf!

Bait... Flounder, hound, old mackerel etc, I used to go empty the fish mongers bin (with permission) and have lots of mackerel etc,

Pots are best left overnight in my experience.

Obviously be careful if setting on inshore reefs!

·
12,847 Posts
Sounds like a good way of ensuring that other boats get ropes round their props.
there will lenty of nets and pots near most reefs, its unlikely most boats will go anywhere near it. black flags or bouys are common place down here and harder to see than brightly coloured ones.

we're not talking deadliest catch here, it's one pot!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Also check your local byelaws.
There is a set ammount of crab and lobsters you can take per day,it can differ from one area to another...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Beg to differ on the size of marker - make sure it is large and clear enough for passing boats to see in a choppy seas.

Also make sure that your length of line is just long enough for the highest anticipated tide so that there isnt too much free line flaiting about in the water - I often think its a good idea to put a small lead about three or four feet down the line to minimise the risk of it catching in a passing skeg or prop.

Lobster do travel, so don't be suprised if you are successful with a pot apparently in the middle of nowhere, but your chances of success will be greater on or near rocky and rough ground.... along with the umpty ump others who think likewise!

·
12,847 Posts
guys,
my comments regarding the pot marker are with regards to setting it on shoreline reef. in particular, the reefs down here around beachy head etc. if anyone is steaming across that ground then a pot rope is the least of their worries!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crazyplums are you local ? im in horsham, would be great to get that lobster pot off you at some point,

is leaving a lobster pot in the water for a week too long? i work away from mon to fri so was thinking about putting one in today and picking it up fri afternoon

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have left them for several weeks when the weather has prevented from getting to them. They will be fine, biggest problem is thieves stealing your pot and/or contents. I have given up setting them now having had three stolen.

I found that mackerel worked just fine in any state.

Another minor problem is big spring tides and storms moving the pots, sometimes it pays to search the immediate area if it is not still on your numbers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hello,

do any locals know where i could buy a couple and how much?
what do you bait them with and how long do you leave them out for ?
are you likely to catch anything? is it only lobsters youll get?
how far out should i put them?

!!
I am not local to you but same principles will apply
you can get folding creels/traps (interextrading) and i have had good success with the tube-shaped ones - you will find v similar for half the price elswhere, which may do you ok, but mesh not quite as tough
they are easy to store - I attached chain to mine to weight them down
you may catch lobsters, crabs (depending on the eye - soft (mesh) eyes will let in edible crabs, the hard eyes (sold rings) will keep them out
here we aim to plonk them in the kelp - go out at low tide to see what is down there - nooks and crannies are best,
close to shore will be further away from the commercial boys - who dont always take too kindly to outsiders
smaller buoys will attract less unwanted attention - but also less visible to others re props!
if your buoy is too big and the weather blows up, a bigger buoy is more likely to drag
we get velvet crabs here, & shore crabs if you are on the wrong bottom - sand/green weed/bladder wrack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts