World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with setting a lobster trap just by walking it out into the water on a sandy beach?

I understand that normally lobster pots are dropped out at sea from a boat, ideally near a rocky environment. But unfortunately I don't have a boat, but I do have access to a long stretch of sandy beach.

So I was just thinking of getting one of those cheap collapsible ones and giving it a try. I could walk it out to say 5ft deep.

All comments much appreciated.

Kind regards
Don

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with setting a lobster trap just by walking it out into the water on a sandy beach?

I understand that normally lobster pots are dropped out at sea from a boat, ideally near a rocky environment. But unfortunately I don't have a boat, but I do have access to a long stretch of sandy beach.

So I was just thinking of getting one of those cheap collapsible ones and giving it a try. I could walk it out to say 5ft deep.

All comments much appreciated.

Kind regards
Don
I'm no expert but I think you need some rough ground at least.
Maybe you'll get some shrimp?
Last week there was a program on TV with Ben Fogle and some chap on a Scottish island. They pulled up a pot from the shore edge with the biggest f in lobster I've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
You need a rocky shore, and they only realy come close enough to shore in the summer.
Put your trap away and go catch some nice whiting and dabs off that beach;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Would work somewhere like Bristol Channel reefs where tide goes out long way.my mate used to put a longline out to fill freezer using his leftover bait.caught some nice cod,not very sporting though!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Piers/structures can be good as had of Walton on naze pier and that's not rocky but have places can hide out of the way as don't want to become fish fodder in open ground but they eat crabs so ambush them round rough/structures etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts