World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,

Anyone know where I'd be able to get information on local bye laws?

Reason being the local constabulary have just ruined a night of perch fishing on the fly ! I know it's not a cod or a bass etc but it's as close as I can get at mo due to work etc.

Anyways some local do gooder put a complaint in that I was whipping the line around and causing a nuisance! EH ? Well if they'd been walking on water 9ft off the bank they might have got a fly in the eye as I was sidecasting parallel to the bank all night and only when no one was walking by??

Maybe I was being a nuisance to the fish?

Upshot is apparently a local bye law prevents fishing at this venue, I did point out to the police that there isn't a single no fishing sign anywhere along the lake!!!

So I want to see the local bye law in writing, if it exists fine, if it doesn't teddys, dummies and everything else is coming out the pram for being moved on and complaints will be made. hmmmphhh * stamps feet*

Oh its Doncaster council by the way, tried googling but haven't found anything useful yet. Info gratefully received.

What a complete waste of police time ! ARGGHHHHHHHHHH

The politically correct brigade will ruin this country.... or maybe they already have?

ooooo, that was a bit of a rant !

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would suggest writing a letter to the local police asking which local bye law you were breaking exactly. That way you will have a reply in writing explaining exactly what you were doing wrong...And if there is no bye law as such it then becomes a get out of jail card !!

Sounds like some bunny hugger or dog walker don't agree with your chosen hobby..:wiggle:

G

·
as a cop i agree its a complete waste of police time, if i had took the call i would have said "sorry we wont be sending anyone, we have better things to do"

howver there wont be a requirement for no fishing signs, the thing about english law is that ignorance is no defence, everyone is assumed to know the law once it is made. Yous ignorance could be used as mitigation in court but it isnt a defence.

(and i mean ignorance as in lack of knowledge , not ignorant as in an ignorant person)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies guys.

As for it being a waste of time I think the bobbys would have agreed they had far better things to do.

I've put an enquiry in with the local council regarding this bye law, depending on the result I may approach the police for info.

If however the outcome is that there is no local byel law I'll get something in writing and WILL continue to pursue the perch on the fly! Cracking sport on light gear, fancy me chances with a big carp on a pellet "fly" as well! Now that would put a bend in the rod!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
In 20 years i have NEVER had anything to do with anyone breaking the law with fishing. We have a massive resevoir on our doorstep which is policed by baliffs from Defra. In fact i went up there the other day when on duty and it was a strange sight for the locals.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Mick, welcome to my world!

LOL

The posh estate over the road and the penthouse flats are frequented by South Yorkshires drug barons, the car park at the cinema is home to the infamous Donny Cruise (boyracer meet). The big Asda gets turned over on an hourly basis and the centre of town is full of ***** gaggin to be nicked......

Yet they pick on me with a fly rod in hand the minute some local up their own ass do gooder puts a complaint in!

In the words of Victor Meldrew Un Bloody Believable !

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had a visit from the Police aeroplane ( few years ago ) and 2 police men in the armed response vehicle ( with holsters unbuttoned ) after a walker had seen some one dressed in cammo gear with a gun in the field. ME shooting pigeons !! Apparently they thought it was a terrorist ( as thats how they dress ) and so rang 999...I was a bit peeved as this particular spot I would ring the police to let them know when i was there..
To be fare to the Police they were just doing their job but you must ask, How much did it cost for an aeroplane to spend 10 minutes scaring pigeons away from me and a visit from the fire arms boys....Must be the most expensive pigeon scarer's in the UK !!

:eek:fftopic:

G

·
I had a visit from the Police aeroplane ( few years ago ) and 2 police men in the armed response vehicle ( with holsters unbuttoned ) after a walker had seen some one dressed in cammo gear with a gun in the field. ME shooting pigeons !! Apparently they thought it was a terrorist ( as thats how they dress ) and so rang 999...I was a bit peeved as this particular spot I would ring the police to let them know when i was there..
To be fare to the Police they were just doing their job but you must ask, How much did it cost for an aeroplane to spend 10 minutes scaring pigeons away from me and a visit from the fire arms boys....Must be the most expensive pigeon scarer's in the UK !!

:eek:fftopic:
to be fair everything with firearms has to be taken seriously. remember michael ryan?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
In 20 years i have NEVER had anything to do with anyone breaking the law with fishing. We have a massive resevoir on our doorstep which is policed by baliffs from Defra. In fact i went up there the other day when on duty and it was a strange sight for the locals.
Did anyone ask "where's the fancy dress party ?":whistling

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to go off on a tangent but I wonder if one of the Police people on this forum could answer a question about anglers carrying knives in their tackle boxes or bags?
I believe that it isn't against the law to carry a filleting knife in my box but some of my fishing friends are convinced that the police can prosecute you if they search your box or bag.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Sorry to go off on a tangent but I wonder if one of the Police people on this forum could answer a question about anglers carrying knives in their tackle boxes or bags?
I believe that it isn't against the law to carry a filleting knife in my box but some of my fishing friends are convinced that the police can prosecute you if they search your box or bag.
Good question markie think i would like to know the answer to this one aswell.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good question markie think i would like to know the answer to this one aswell.
Here you go Paul (and others) Not in the force but I do a fair bit of shooting so I try and keep abreast of things pertinent to my sport.

The law surrounding the use and carrying of knives was tightened in 2006 through the Violent Crime Reduction Act. With the exception of folding pocket knives with a cutting blade of less than 3 inches; it is now ILLEGAL to have any sharply pointed or bladed instrument in your possession, in a public place without good reason or lawful authority.

Good reason for carrying a knife may be shown by occupation as a farmer, estate manager, recreational stalker, gameshooter, angler or anyone else who has reasonable grounds for expecting to need a knife whilst pursuing a lawful activity.

Carrying a knife in public must be in connection with the activity for which it is needed; going into a shop with a knife in your pocket if you are returning from or going to a place where you farm, fish or shoot etc. would constitute good reason

Hope this helps and I believe it is now under review.

Pete.
ps a briefing sheet can be found here.http://www.basc.org.uk/media/carrying_knives.pdf

G

·

its a hot pototato at the minute, and due to our chief constables policy(and wanting to make himself look good in the media) i see people getting criminalised on a daily basis by over zealous policing of knives.

yes if you have them for use as a weapon thats a clear cut offence.

the other offence - posession of a bladed or sharply pointed article in a public place - is a bit less clear cut. it has a specific exemption which is a folding pocket knife with a blade of less than 3 inches. (note- lock knives are not allowed)

there is a defence though to this part of the law. basically that you had a reasonable excuse to posess it (to me filleting fish would be reasonable - but might not be to others in the current climate) or for use in the course of your occupation.

i would reccomend being careful!!! at the end of the day do you really need a knife when fishing? i never carry one. use scissors on bait and to gut fish, then fillet when i get home.

to sum up a lot depends on the commom sense of the cop who stops you, but in these days of media campaigns and knife crime hype that common sense is slowly being taken away!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Are scissors ' not ' a sharp pointed object ?? Big hooks ?? Rod rest's ??

I know its a bit daft but you could go on for ever. The police have to be allowed to use common sense but unfortunately ' common sense ' don't stand up in a court of law !! :rtfm:

My wifes sarcasm is the sharpest object I know and she never gets arrested for using that in public !! :roll1:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I carry a small lock knife in my work jacket for stripping pallets of shrink wrap and packaging.... i originally bought the knife for skinning & gutting (paunching) rabbits when i did a lot of shooting, i,m not sure of the blade length but a proportion of it is jagged for a specific reason and looks quite nasty... i don,t think it would look good if i was stopped & searched...After reading previous posts it,ll have to stay at work from now on....nice to see ya posting again B.P ......Chris

G

·
I carry a small lock knife in my work jacket for stripping pallets of shrink wrap and packaging.... i originally bought the knife for skinning & gutting (paunching) rabbits when i did a lot of shooting, i,m not sure of the blade length but a proportion of it is jagged for a specific reason and looks quite nasty... i don,t think it would look good if i was stopped & searched...After reading previous posts it,ll have to stay at work from now on....nice to see ya posting again B.P ......Chris
be careful with a lock knife mate, the blade length doesnt matter, you still have a defence though if you have reasonable excuse etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the reply insanojackson :)
One thing that worries me though is that the law seems open to interpretation in this matter.
It might be time to retire the filleting knife to the garage. :cc_surren

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a pen knife from age 8 years, bought it in Stranraer from the sports shop with my holiday money. Whittled many a piece of wood with it, played split the kipper a few times and cut myself once or twice with it! lol :)

In fact all my mates had knives, we used to strap them to the ends of the Scotch arrows that we'd made to see if we could get them to stick in trees, fences etc! Now scotch arrows are never seen (probably a good thing cos they'd be banned as well), made my son one, it's 4ft long and will fly a good 200 yards plus, thing is he's more interested in his psp and moby phone :( bring back the 70/80's !! Kids were kids, music was .....errrm interesting, and bands had people in em that could play instruments ! Oh and if you were late home you got a good hiding off the old man and childline hadn't been invented!

My son is in the cubs, even that aint what it used to be, they recently did some "badge" work which involved knowing what childline was for and what the chuffin number is !! wtf ???? When they go on camp they have to take a portable lavvy and a portable shower, hell we used to dig a hole and take the occasional unwanted bath when ya got hoyked in the river by the big lads!

How things have changed. I know knife crime is high profile and all that but I'm sure I could do someone a brutal injury with a Bic biro, 10p each and they sell em to everyone.............

Hey ho , nostalgia ! A thing of the past!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts