World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and jacky had a couple of hours out lastnite, I had been getting excited building loads of plaice rigs(with all the green and black beads coz they look like muscles what the plaice eat) this week only to be told theres no plaice in our area till about may haha. That's what I get for watching videos from different areas of the UK, thinking our areas going to be the same sort of fishing.
Anyways we went to our local spot(cullercoats). We got there for high tide(springtide) but there wasn't much sea on it was quite flat so we decided to fish off the north harbour wall fishing in all directions.
We had a couple of packs of lugworm and some mackeral. I was using a pulleypennel rig with size 4/0,3/0 hooks(hoping there was still some codling about) jacky was using 2 and 3 hook flapper rigs with slightly smaller hooks. We didn't really know what we were targeting just anything that liked the taste of our bait I suppose.
First cast and I was on haha what a mighty bite them tiny little Tommy codlings got lol it looked like a 3lb fish the way it tugged on my rod tip yessssss reeled it in and it wasnt much bigger then a goldfish out me uncle steveys tank. Never mind it was only lip hooked so it went back to grow bigger. We were canny confident after that but didn't do to well. Jacky caught the biggest rockling I've ever seen it was nearly as big as the codling, much nicer looking fish aswell I think.
I was suprised there was no whiting about or flounder but then again I've never caught any whiteys or flounder at this mark.
Everytime i have fished the north harbour wall at cullercoats I have caught a codling, this last one mite of only been a Tommy but atleast they are there.
Can anyone give us some advice on what to target now please? Or is it just a case of downsizing hooks and fishing for a bit of everything?
20190224_190634.jpg 20190224_193129.jpg 20190224_193447.jpg 20190224_214051.jpg 20190224_214114.jpg 20190225_102354.jpg
P.S for a laff jacky chucked a bit of hand line over the side of the harbour wall coz it looked canny tastey and he caught another rockling haha, happydays no massive fish but a canny couple of hours out the house

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers lads, think we mite have to pick a new more sporting mark for our local untill the cod is back around anyways. Thinking I mite hit the rat house estuary for some whiteys one night this week, for some fish cakes.
tell me about it mate i can't wait to get over the west for summit thats gunna test the biceps baha..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Great report Micky.. I've seen many a big fish caught by lads dropping a line over the side of piers/walls etc.. I try to do it as and when I remember if it's not too busy.. mind you all I tend to get are the odd crab or five... one day though, one day! ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great report Micky.. I've seen many a big fish caught by lads dropping a line over the side of piers/walls etc.. I try to do it as and when I remember if it's not too busy.. mind you all I tend to get are the odd crab or five... one day though, one day! ;)
I've never done it b4 myself but think il start trying, would be nice to get a beast of a conger on wouldn't it mate, makes sense to do it aswell coz theres loads of food to be eaten from round the edges mate

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice onew Mickey will definetley have to meet up with you there one day I've just brought myself a set of lures and might give it a bash on Friday.
Nice1 Paul I havnt got a lure rod yet mate im defo gunna get1 before the summer kicks in mate but first I want a boat rod also a scratching rod lol. Yes mate i fancy the ratty next time out pall for some whiteys

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Keep telling you all, GO BASSING...! Sand beach or pebbles, sea coal is good. Big tides, big worms, big hooks. Go for it
Cheers, ****

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep telling you all, GO BASSING...! Sand beach or pebbles, sea coal is good. Big tides, big worms, big hooks. Go for it
Cheers, ****
Haha thanks ****, we were actually going to go bassing on llongsands beach but we thought the spring tide would be a nightmare chasing us up th4 beach 20m every cast lol so ended up in the harbour mate, il definitly go next time out and let you know the results

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Haha thanks ****, we were actually going to go bassing on llongsands beach but we thought the spring tide would be a nightmare chasing us up th4 beach 20m every cast lol so ended up in the harbour mate, il definitly go next time out and let you know the results
Neoprene chest waders are the answer mate, or find a beach with a good slope on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts