World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I hope that someone may be willing to share their advice with me. My friend and I are looking to come over to the BC on Saturday afternoon. At the moment we're undecided as to where to fish. I realise that we may be a little early for those 3 letter beauties but if we don't try we'll never know.
I think we've narrowed it down (based on what I've read about the marks, and what tides to fish them on) to:

1. Blue Anchor

2. Ladye Bay

3. St. Audries

4. Aust

I'm not expecting anyone to give me their secret marks or the likes, just some pointers for 2 BC newbies. Also, if anyone can recommend bait suppliers near the marks, that would be great.
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hi steve high tide about 5 oclock sat evening i think i would fish st audries walk down the slope and steps to the beach turn right walk past the waterfall in to the next bay walk along till u find some steps fish anywhere along there as for bait get there early and dig your own lug take frozen squid and sand eels yopu dont know wot will turn up till u try good luck

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Tides bit too small for Aust. wont have very much water infront of you..long way to come for the couple hrs you could hope for.

ladye bay. will give you all tide state fishing.
Be aware. It can be dodgy over low. Soft sand/mud. Fishing off the rocks over high.
The Tide rips in and out Its a mid size tide but if you havnt seen it before you will be shocked .

Olivers in clevedon Good bait and advice.

Blue Anchor. easy fishing out the car in places few hrs either side of high or off the beach.
Closest tackle shop to there (I know of) would be down at Minehead on the harbour.

Expect A very strong tidal pull, 6oz + grippers, shock leaders to match. 18lb+ main lines. Fast reels(slosh,penn mags, saltists)are best.

Pulleys tend to be favourite rigs, worm,squid,fish,crab best baits.

Have a read of the stickys at the top of the page about dangers of the channel. And take heed.
Do not wander around at low tide if you do not know the marks.Also crustys sticky will give you a Idea of what to expect.

Good luck where ever you decide to try.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies so far. Yep, read the sticky's as well and just wanted to get a few peoples opinion on my suggested marks, or others if people think we've no chance with those.
I guess it will be a cast uptide and let it catch the bottom so as not to get washed straight round on to any snags?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies so far. Yep, read the sticky's as well and just wanted to get a few peoples opinion on my suggested marks, or others if people think we've no chance with those.
I guess it will be a cast uptide and let it catch the bottom so as not to get washed straight round on to any snags?
Yep pretty much it, set up well apart (unless you like knitting) and walk slightly/cast uptide.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi, sorry to hijack the thread, but i am doing the same coming from birmingham taking a fishermen from the Dark Side... Being as it is first time i was think Severn Beach ... do you think i would get around 3 hrs on these tides or would you it be more like 1.5hrs, got my son with me so dont fancy Ladye Bay..

Thxs in return

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
My advise for what it's worth is fish Severn beach
If you get there a tad early then you can always go to the chippy then go back Severn beach and see how far tide is out. It may pay you to fish the beach at Severn beach if the tide isn't to far out then ( broken pipe line ) DON'T WALK ON THE MUD ad it gets deep in places and the tide comes in v v fast here. Or you can set up on the wall and wait for the tide :)

Tackle shops are
Southmead angling,about 20 min driveway
Reel fun about 30 mins away in portishead Marina
Olivers angling in clevedon about 40 min drive away from Severn beach

The only bait worth using at the moment is either blow lug or black lug rigs want to be pulley rigs with a size 3/0
Codling bass congers are all comming out at present.
If you fish the wall the first 50 yards of the wall seems to be the better spots.
Distance ain't always needed but I've found a good 80 yard cast will pit you amoung the fish.
Good luck fella

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pulleys advice on tackle/bait is good.

Aim for Ladye Bay, its an easy walk, once on the ledges its fairly comfortable, your friend and son should be OK.

Severn Beach, your fishing time will be limited for the distance you are travelling.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Be aware if using Bristol Angling(southmead) phone in advance as they dont always have fresh bait.(may need to order).
And their sea department these days is limited as they are more geared to course and carp. Last time I went there they didnt even have any swivels.

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Pulleys advice on tackle/bait is good.

Aim for Ladye Bay, its an easy walk, once on the ledges its fairly comfortable, your friend and son should be OK.

Severn Beach, your fishing time will be limited for the distance you are travelling.
Just to add that if you do fish layde bay it might be a hit and miss for them cod as the cod seem to be further up channel at the moment.

Laydebay nice flat areas to fish and cast from BUT more chance of loosing gear due to the big rocks in front of you unless you walk about 2/3 of a mile to your rite ( not as snaggy)
Severn beach is easy to fish and If you do get snagged up you got more chance of getting your rig back.

If you do fish laydebay then type in bay road clevedon on the sat nav then walk down the steps and take the hi path this will lead you to the ledges.

It might be worth a punt and fish 1 rod in close say 60 yards with size 4 hooks for any sole that are around and the other rod big baits and blast it, if you do get a decent bite then don't give it any slack line ad the fish will head for the rocks snagging you up and coating you that fish and rig.

If your gonna blast a big bait out onto the sand bank then use a pennel incase you get a whiting/pouting and leave it on there for either a conger or cod.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to add that if you do fish layde bay it might be a hit and miss for them cod as the cod seem to be further up channel at the moment.

Laydebay nice flat areas to fish and cast from BUT more chance of loosing gear due to the big rocks in front of you unless you walk about 2/3 of a mile to your rite ( not as snaggy)
Severn beach is easy to fish and If you do get snagged up you got more chance of getting your rig back.

If you do fish laydebay then type in bay road clevedon on the sat nav then walk down the steps and take the hi path this will lead you to the ledges.

It might be worth a punt and fish 1 rod in close say 60 yards with size 4 hooks for any sole that are around and the other rod big baits and blast it, if you do get a decent bite then don't give it any slack line ad the fish will head for the rocks snagging you up and coating you that fish and rig.

If your gonna blast a big bait out onto the sand bank then use a pennel incase you get a whiting/pouting and leave it on there for either a conger or cod.
Popped down the 2nd point at ladye bay the other night and noticed due to the rough weather of late a great deal of the sand/mud has been shifted off the reef in front of the point there exposing a lot more of the rocks under your feet. Could well make it more snaggy than usual fishing close in so you have been warned. Nice and clean under foot though at low water. Good luck with the weed if its blowing from the west.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow.....so....Ladye Bay may not be the place! When people say the cod are showing further up the channel, what areas are they referring to?

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Wow.....so....Ladye Bay may not be the place! When people say the cod are showing further up the channel, what areas are they referring to?
When people ref to upper channel they mean portishead,rockingham,Severn beach, " pipe" ice pipe line next to rockingham, Severn beach, aust, Littleton and oldbury powerstation ( ask armed police first before you enter the powerstation

Most people will head for Severn beach rockingham for the next few months. Oct nov and dec I would start fishing portishead laydebay sand point brean down and lower light ( burnham on sea)

The only bait to really use IMHO for the cod is either blow lug or black lug. Blueys do account for cod as well, but you will get more congers and rays on blueys

Dirty squid also accounts for congers rays bass and the cod. Lat year I saw 3 doubles landed on unwashed squid on its own

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Dont get too excited about reports of them codling up top though.
They are very, very patchy. To give you a example the same marks fished over 3 days in a row,over both tides. produced 4 blanks and 2 sessions with a few small fish.(most undersized)
There is the odd bigger fish coming out but they are even more patchy.

I live 10 mins from the upper marks mentioned and have been fishing Or down there walking around and chatting to others fishing regulary since mid August.
Also on some days Ragworm is out fishing Lug and on others its other way round.
Its really a bit early another few weeks and it may be better.
But, and it pains me to say it.
At the moment it isnt looking as good (in the way of quantity) as it was this time last year.
Only time will tell on how good a season we have.

The best cod/codling fishing at the moment on the English side is strangley(for this time of year) comming from the minehead/dunster area of the channel.
Also the welsh coastline seems to be fishing a lot more consistant for em.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When people ref to upper channel they mean portishead,rockingham,Severn beach, " pipe" ice pipe line next to rockingham, Severn beach, aust, Littleton and oldbury powerstation ( ask armed police first before you enter the powerstation

Most people will head for Severn beach rockingham for the next few months. Oct nov and dec I would start fishing portishead laydebay sand point brean down and lower light ( burnham on sea)

The only bait to really use IMHO for the cod is either blow lug or black lug. Blueys do account for cod as well, but you will get more congers and rays on blueys

Dirty squid also accounts for congers rays bass and the cod. Lat year I saw 3 doubles landed on unwashed squid on its own

This is fantastic, thanks very much for your help in clearing that up!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont get too excited about reports of them codling up top though.
They are very, very patchy. To give you a example the same marks fished over 3 days in a row,over both tides. produced 4 blanks and 2 sessions with a few small fish.(most undersized)
There is the odd bigger fish coming out but they are even more patchy.

I live 10 mins from the upper marks mentioned and have been fishing Or down there walking around and chatting to others fishing regulary since mid August.
Also on some days Ragworm is out fishing Lug and on others its other way round.
Its really a bit early another few weeks and it may be better.
But, and it pains me to say it.
At the moment it isnt looking as good (in the way of quantity) as it was this time last year.
Only time will tell on how good a season we have.

The best cod/codling fishing at the moment on the English side is strangley(for this time of year) comming from the minehead/dunster area of the channel.
Also the welsh coastline seems to be fishing a lot more consistant for em.

Likewise, Karlos, I really appreciate your help with this. Good to see a forum where people are willing to advise!
:thumbs:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Watchet harbour wall could be worth a go. Start fishing as soon as there are a few feet of water in front of you. Normally fish from a Kayak now but I like watchet.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
No worries.
I am not saying definitely dont fish the upper reaches at the moment because some fair sized fish have been caught over the last few weeks.
But seeing as your traveling a fair distance. Just wanted to make you aware it is very hit and miss up the top still.

But as you know that is fishing, and you never know you could hit that lunker.
Good luck where ever you get to. And enjoy the BC:thumbs:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts