World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished loch Etive over two days but i will just put up one report both days were as bad as each other.
I headed over to Etive for a meet with a few other anglers we were to meet sat afternoon at the car park at Connel bridge sat afternoon. I thought it's a long way to go just for one day so left home on the fri after the rush hour arrived a few hours later. I headed to the priory i had brought my tent so was looking for somewhere to set it up, when i looked there was sea weed all over the area i would normally set up tent. I thought that tide is coming well up here so headed to Taynuilt pier the stone one and found a piece of dry ground about 1ft above what looked like the high tide mark. It was the only place there i could put a tent at least there was grass i found out when setting up tent that grass was only in inches of earth covering the rocks underneath but managed to get it up.

Fished Taynuilt pier 16:15 to around 20:00,Tide HT=18:09 LT=00:01,Bait mackie,bluey,sandeeland squid. Weather not good stiff breeze blowing up the length of the loch along with rain showers low cloud and snow on the hills. Well first cast should have told me what to expect reeling in lost both casts. It was nearly high tide when i started fishing and the water was well up the pier. So rerigged sent them out again same result, i was getting them of the bottom but catch who knows what on the way in. I lost a few more bits of kit before calling it a day, i had thought of fishing at the priory which is what i should have done.Needless to say i caught nothing there. So after this everything in the car headed to tent get something to eat etc and a sleep. This was not going to be a quiet night for sleeping the wind really picked up along with the rain snow and even hail stones early morning. Glad to see the tent was happy to stand up to it me i hardly managed to sleep for more than an hour at a time.

Fished Etive just before gates to quarry.Tide HT=17:03 LT=11:05,Bait mackie,bluey,sandeel.squid. Weather stiff breeze blowing up the loch,rain heavy at times,low cloud all day.
I woke up sat morning feeling like crap and seen a guy with a large camper van parking up not far from me nice vehichle i have to say. After checking all my gear set of to Connel car park met a few of the guys there, while i was parked up seen a few more of the guys fishing over by the winsock which was the area we intended to fish. While i was sitting parked there there were rain showers heavy at time which brought with them a very strong wind. We thought it was going to be impossible to fish the winsock with that viscious wind picking up every few minutes with the comany of the rain. We all headed to the winsock ,i have to say i have never been or fished there before but i liked the look of it. Arrival at the winsock had us meeting a few guys parked up and it was decided we could fish at the quarry slightly more out of the wind. So headed up there was talk of going beyond the quarry but parked outside gate and wandered around the quarry, myself and a few others fished the area just before the gate into like a big deep pond. Well at least i can say i lost nothing here but i can also say i caught nothing here either,sorry i did i caught a crab on bluey. One thing i did notice all the baits went in and came out the same except for the bluey that went in and came back empty whether it was easy for crabs to eat or what i don't know ,it certainly wasn't due to bites i never seen any. Even fishing there was a fight against the weather the wind just was not letting up. Then it died at low tide but never helped me catch fish so a while later had had enough so gave up. No fish no bites not a good couplke of days at Etive whether it was the tides the weather or Etive just being Etive i don't know, but as far as i am aware there was not much caught there was a 4lb cod caught from the quarry the night before.

So that was trip to Etive nothing ventured nothing gained and nothing caught either. Didn't feel right fishing there and not getting eaten alive by midges lol. At least this time i never damaged or lost anything. I nearly had two young deer this was coming along the track to the stone pier the deer just stood in the front of car and looked at me....no good my camera was in the back of car they were there there for a couple of minutes flicked their heads and wandered into a field. Hopefully next time i'm over there i get a better result.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ouch, sounds like a hard couple of days out, sleeping out in it and all... Hope you get better results on your next trip!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like it was wild mate but we'll done for battling through the conditions. Hope the next trip makes up for your efforts.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, yeh next trip will be in better weather hopefully sunshine.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Etive can be a strange place.
Such a vast and deep place to fish.
You did well to bear the conditions and it was unlucky that it didn't produce a fish.
I was told in the past that it's better to look at Northern Ireland's weather, it's more likely to be closer to etives.
When the wind is blowing up the loch(easterlies) it doesn't seem to produce the same, although that's not to say you won't catch.
Neap tides are best at etive to fish.
I normally fish from the boat when I'm up there, but I'm willing to pass on my limited knowledge.
Hope this helps, maybe someone.

Great detailed report, enjoyed reading it, although I'm not so sure you enjoyed living it, lol.

Cheers willie

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Sair yin Mike was a a bit windy at the Tay today and knot weed but at least ah caught sum fish cheeerz the noo am just back and tighter lines

·
Premium Member
15,454 Posts
Good report and fair game on sticking it out! I was up on Saturday just to get Bobo out and it was blowing a hoolie!
Roll on the next trip!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good report and unlucky on the fishing front. You certainly put the effort in and huge respect to you for carrying on in those conditions. Hopefully next time, you will hit the fish and have a bumper session. Tight lines! Gary

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Etive can be a strange place.
Such a vast and deep place to fish.
You did well to bear the conditions and it was unlucky that it didn't produce a fish.
I was told in the past that it's better to look at Northern Ireland's weather, it's more likely to be closer to etives.
When the wind is blowing up the loch(easterlies) it doesn't seem to produce the same, although that's not to say you won't catch.
Neap tides are best at etive to fish.
I normally fish from the boat when I'm up there, but I'm willing to pass on my limited knowledge.
Hope this helps, maybe someone.

Great detailed report, enjoyed reading it, although I'm not so sure you enjoyed living it, lol.

Cheers willie
Thanks Willie, i don't get over very often when i have been over previously and caught fish it has been on the smaller tides. I would have loved better weather but can't have everything.

Sair yin Mike was a a bit windy at the Tay today and knot weed but at least ah caught sum fish cheeerz the noo am just back and tighter lines
Well done on the fish,hopefully heading over to Fife tomorrow fish Leven beach not been there for ages.

Good report and fair game on sticking it out! I was up on Saturday just to get Bobo out and it was blowing a hoolie!
Roll on the next trip!
Wasn't the best trip out there i have had weather wise can only get better.

Good report and unlucky on the fishing front. You certainly put the effort in and huge respect to you for carrying on in those conditions. Hopefully next time, you will hit the fish and have a bumper session. Tight lines! Gary
Thanks Gary, i'm looking forward to a bumper sesh things have been kind of quiet of late.

Unlucky mate.
Fair play to you camping out at this time of year, hopefully you get some payback later on for your efforts.
Cheers, Leo.
I'm so glad the tent actually stood up to the beating it took. I'm also thankful for modern sleeping bags.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great read, Sounds like you had a gritty trip up there, certainly not for the lack of effort that's for sure, definitely one for the blank bank ;)

All the best and hope your next trip proves more fruitful.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts