World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Glasgow on the 20 past 6 Train on Saturday night to head up to Connel with my mate Stevie (Spurriemaster on here) After having a mad night on the drink on Friday. (The plan was to get the early train, but the hangover wouldn't allow it! :p)

We arrived in Connel just after 9, and bergens on backs, we started walking over the Connel Bridge with the prospect of a 5 mile walk to the Priory in the dark. By the time we got to the other side of the brig we were looking for any old bit of grass to fling the tent up on until the morning.

Luckily we bumped into a local, who my mate asked abut the 'Windsock' which we'd heard wasn't too far away, and a known mark. So after a few minutes talking, the guy showed us the way, and we found a wee bit of grass just at the top of the beach.

The rain was starting to get a little heavier, so after the tent was up, we sat for a wee while before heading down to the water.

My mate started fishing with a luminous muppet & Pennel pulley (with sprayed mackerel fillet), and was into a LSD within 10 minutes. Then I got a knock on my luminous shrimp rig, but my knot gave way in a bed of kelp ( I can only imagine) so a change of rig was required, with me going onto a pennel with mackerel as well.

After only 5 minutes in the water, I was away - with a nice Spurrie around the 5-6lb mark (My first ever, by the way!)

Then, after the obligatory bait change, and delighted looking pictures, We were waiting when Stevie's rod went again, with another LSD appearing. While we were at the water's edge unhooking, etc, the tripod fell over, with us just expecting it to be the wind. However, with me being hyper from the first Spurrie still, I struck on the offchance, and just as well I did - another belter of a spurrie, which was pushing 10 - but without scales it was hard to judge ( 10'll do me ;) )

After another wee while, the wind and rain picked up, and the tiredness crept in, so it was time to hit the hay until low water in the early afternoon.

We started fishing again at about half past 1, trying the same spot as before, but moving up the beach a little....no luck at all - our macky fillets were just feeding crabs, and it was starting to get a bit boring (as it does) So we packed up around 5, and trudged back over to Connel for the half 6 train - which got us back for about 10ish.

All in all - a smashin' wee trip :)

Stevie's LSD

First Spurrie

The Bigger Spurrie

The Beach/Connel Brig

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
hello,
Welcome too the forum.

Great first report and brilliant pictures.
braw sized first spurdog too !!, and the larger looks a cracker. :) welldone.

ps , Epoch and myself fished the exact same spot few months back , but had no luck so moved too another mark, water is pretty deep 20 yrds out eh. :)

i will look forward too your future posts ,
Andy.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Well Done On Your First Spurry Mate , You Couldnt Have Picked A Better Mark , I Fish That Mark Quite Regularly And Have Had My Pb Spur From There .

Well Done

Al

·
Registered
775 Posts
hey up,

Welcome to the forum! Nice coupla fish there!

sure is a decent mark, but like the rest of the loch can be hit or miss.

priory is a hell of a hike from connel with all the gear!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the congrats & comments guys. That's me just starting to get into Sea Fishing, and I must say - its far better than the trout fishing I've done upto now...will deffo be investing more time in it :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Good session boys well done.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
good to see its still fishing going up that way tommorow cannae wait now didnt know there was a train station in connel handy when i cant get a lift how long is the train noodle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good to see its still fishing going up that way tommorow cannae wait now didnt know there was a train station in connel handy when i cant get a lift how long is the train noodle
Train takes about 3 hours roughly - Leave from Queen Street (Its the Oban train btw)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well done lads, great place to fish, even better when you land a belter like that.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
well done noodle ,:clap3: :clap3: thats you hooked :giveup: aint no way trout fishin will be the same again !!
btw what part of lanarkshire you from ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm from Croy - near Cumbernauld if you dunno it. Definately doubt I'll be doin much trout fishin this summer anyway - I'm already dyin to get away again!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Biggest I've seen was just under 4lbs and it is the only one I really heard of too.
neal
The skink

1 - 17 of 17 Posts