World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to this fishing thingy.....Im from the East coast of Scotland (Rosyth), more used to fishing in the Firth of Forth, I was wanting to have a trip over to Etive as Ive heard a lot of good reports about it. What I was wanting to know is 1. where do I fish when i get there, whats the best mark and more importantly, how do I get there.... 2. whats the best bait to use.

cheers guys keep pluggin away :D

·
Registered
686 Posts
Depends when you plan to fish - if it's daylight then the deeper water marks are your best bet lsd/grey gurnards/whiting/pollack/thornie/small spurdog

Into darkness the shallow marks can produce decent Spurdog/thornies.

I've only really fished the North shore near Bonawe/quarry - drive up towards Oban - just before cross the Connell bridge then take the next right across the bridge ( signposted for Bonawe ) - there are numerous marks along this stretch just before the village or through the quarry.

Best baits are mackerel/squid or rag if your after pollack/codling.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spell,

Went onto multimap, found bonawe ok but couldnt see the quarry ? I take it its easy to spot once you get to bonawe. if anybody else has any more marks they know of please let me know.

cheers guys :p

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many many thanks Spell, at least ive got an idea where im going now :D 1 other thing I meant to ask.... what sort of distances are we talking about that I need to cast, its been mainly boat fishing that ive done over the years, this beach fishing malarky is fairly new to me, im using a 12 ft Shakespeare beachcaster and an old Intrepid Seastreak multiplyer (still in great nick) I think I can manage about the 50 - 55 yrd mark if I give it plenty of ommph

all the best

·
Registered
686 Posts
Distance isn't really too important, but make sure that you have plenty line on your reel because of the depth.

When you cast out it takes a good few minutes for the line to reach the seabed try and make up some rigs with luminous beads as this seems to attract the fish more than rigs without.

If there are spurdog about use heavy mono for the hook traces 50lb plus - better still use plastic coated wire as it lasts longer and doesn't get bitten through as easily.

When are you planning going up?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lo spell,

I was looking to come up a week tomorrow, thats if I can talk me m8 into goin...lol, if not I will prolly make the journey up on me tod, it will most likely be on the saturday as her indoors has mentioned that she wants to go out sat night ????

Cant understand it meself, I took her out last year ! what more does she want...strange creatures wumin !!!!!

all the best

·
Registered
686 Posts
what more does she want...strange creatures wumin
New carpet, curtains, shoes... etc :)

Someone else I know fancied a trip to Etive - I'll find out when he wants to go - we're just a couple of miles from you .

Maybe arrange to meet up if we get matching dates - can't guarantee the fish though :)

Just a word of warning there were road works at Callander a few weeks back and the traffic was very busy.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for that spell...just been on nadics page, heres a copy of there roadworks report

A84 Doune - Callander
Roadworks are scheduled to take place on the A84 between Doune and Callander from Wednesday 9th February until Monday 25th April.

Works will be carried out daily from 09:00 hrs until 16:00 hrs with temporary traffic signals in operation.

Road users are advised to expect delays.

link to page http://www.nadics.org.uk

have you heard any reports about the forth lately?, years ago I used to fish down at n/queensferry, we used to catch quite a lot of good codling from underneath the rail bridge. was thinking of giving it a try on monday, (thats if you can still get under the bridge)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Fished down at Tyninghm ( Dunbar ) last sunday - 9 flounder and an undersized turbot between 9 anglers.

Waited all winter for decent easterly winds- then they appear about 10 weeks too late :)

Hopefully the codling and flounder should start moving up soon - when the crabs start peeling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts