World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going for a days fishing next weekend from a boat and not sure about strength of line was told 80lb braid but thought it was a bit over the top any advice on this and what kind of bait was thinking mackerel and squid any info much appreciated

·
Premium Member
15,770 Posts
80 lb braid is fine, get some large Hokeyes (spelling!!) and tip them with a piece of Mackerel, that works for Spurries! use either wire traces or 120lb mono.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If its etive from the boat then 80lb braid is overkill unless you happen to have a reel filled with the stuff already. The spurs are there with the odd one pushing 20lb but most fish in etive are smallish and the bottom is generally clean. A reel filled with 20lb nylon would do (braid is better due to bite detection at depth) with a wind on stronger leader to help land the unexpected monster. Make sure you have plenty of line in your reels as its really deep in places. Even 80lb braid wont help you if you snag up on fish farm cables and their anchors other than that the bottom is generally soft... Most important tackle is good waterproofs and a camera and reels with lots of line and plenty of spare line for a refill. Strong hook lengths or short wire hook lengths to prevent bite offs by spurs and a flask of something hot. Mackies and squid are the standard go to bait at etive. Glow in the dark beads or baited glow in the dark traces are supposed to help. Enjoy.

·
Registered
20,763 Posts
the good advice above will see you into the fish no probs also worth taking sabikis with
you too for having a go at the smaller species have fun:thumbs:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers very much for the advice ave got 30lb nylon on my reel already so al mabey go with that I have already ordered the braid online so I will just take that with me just incase and re spool on site if need be. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Etive drops to around 400ft in places. Mono stretches up to 10% generally meaning you could have up to 40ft of stretch. This makes bite detection very difficult. Braid stretch is zero meaning you are in contact with every nibble.use the braid as your first choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts