World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Loch Long 08/08/09

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  IainMac85 
#1 ·
Fished Long for a few hours last night for the snakes, arrived at the rock mark next to the caves (still fishing the same bit of water just easier rocks to fish from) at around half seven with 2 of my mates and prepared for the night ahead getting rods put up and rigs sorted out.

noticed the place was an absolute shambols with beer cans, buckfast bottles, discarded line and various other rubbish which was pretty annoying to say the least as it isnt usually that messy, not only that we noticed that some warm hearted soul had kindly excreted all over the place down the big scarey hole in the ground and left bags of racid bait and all sorts of crap in there also, which meant, for those of you who have fished there will know, we could smell it most of the night due to the hole in the ground leading to a kinda cave area at your back, seems there are alot of "anglers" being caught short these days!! anyways back to the fishing,

watched the shoals of mackies hammer the fry, sometimes coming right into the rocks, saw some decent pollack chasing the shoals too, some i modestly estimated at around 4-5lb which is an excellent fish for up there.

fished from about half an hour after low tide all the way up to half an hour before high, had plenty of action throughout the early part of the night with some decent bites and a few decent runs which we missed :wallbash:, just before the darkness set in we lit a small fire in the cave at our back which kept the midgies off our case and got rid of all the nasties that the previous tramps had left for us! it also provided us with some nice hot tatties to eat while waiting on the sound of our ratchets!!

at around midnight my mate got a gd run which produced a small stap of 3lb 2oz which was quickly photographed, unhooked and weighed before being returned safely, just as i was packing up my gear around 1am i got a run & caught a strap at 3lb 4oz which again was photo'd,unhooked and weighed and returned to fight another day, no sonner had i released that eel and packed away my rod my reel was singing again as another eel was making a run on my other rod, this produced an eel of 3lb 9oz which gave a rather spirited fight for its size, after that i packed up and headed home, a rather enjoyable & productive sesh despite the stamp of fish being pretty small and the mess that some thoughtless barstewards had left the place in!! all fish were weighed, photographed and released with pics to follow when my mate gets his ass in gear and emails them to me!!

See less See more
#3 ·
aye your right mate its ridiculous, ive fished loch long for around 17yrs (not long in comparison to some) but ive never saw it so busy or in such a bad state, its F**king disgusting!! every single rock mark along the glen mallon/ finart side is a shambols! i dont know why these "anglers" and i use the term very loosley! find it hard to tidy up after themselves when:

A- their cars are parked right next to the marks so its not like its hard to take ur rubbish away with you
&
B- they have bonfires that would make guy fawkes night look like a disposible BBQ so burning their rubbish wouldnt be hard either!!

:preachon: Rant over!!

#5 ·
your joking lol was that to keep the midgies away? where abouts were they doing this? i was up a few saturdays ago at the caves and there was a huge fire on the ardgaten side, mutav been 4 fire engines at it looked like someone had set fire to alot of trees!!

#6 ·
The Arrochar midges are pretty fierce, A burning tyre or two would probably only annoy them.

The fire at Ardgarten was the old campsite stores. There were 2 Log cabin type buildings, not anymore! A pal in the fire brigade was telling me it was pretty spectacular due to propane bottles going up.

#7 ·
aye the fire was huge!! was pretty inpressive! tired taking some pictures with the digi camera but they didint turn out, i was fishing the mark directly opposite, was the fire started deliberately? it went up really fast!!

#8 ·
The Arrochar midges are pretty fierce, A burning tyre or two would probably only annoy them.

The fire at Ardgarten was the old campsite stores. There were 2 Log cabin type buildings, not anymore! A pal in the fire brigade was telling me it was pretty spectacular due to propane bottles going up.
As a serving Fire-Fighter I would be behind cover listening to them POP.:idea:

#9 ·
I don't think they considered it an accidental fire!
My pal had just entered (I mean moved just inside the doorway) the building and was playing the hose about when he realised that the water was washing burning stuff off a propane bottle. That's when he made a "strategic withdrawal"(not quite the words he used)and they concentrated on containment. Please don't quote me on that or tell me that's not the correct procedure cos I'm having to do some serious curse editing here. He was showing me the scene the following day and he was still, how can I put it - excited!!
Suffice it to say he's not to impressed with "Fishing Neds" as he terms them.
All I can say is these retained lads don't get paid enough and neither do the full timers.
mods, sorry if we're well of topic,
I can however report that the number of small sprat in Loch Long is nothing short of astonishing, t makes me wonder where the predators have been/are ?

#10 ·
I don't think they considered it an accidental fire!
My pal had just entered (I mean moved just inside the doorway) the building and was playing the hose about when he realised that the water was washing burning stuff off a propane bottle. That's when he made a "strategic withdrawal"(not quite the words he used)and they concentrated on containment. Please don't quote me on that or tell me that's not the correct procedure cos I'm having to do some serious curse editing here. He was showing me the scene the following day and he was still, how can I put it - excited!!
Suffice it to say he's not to impressed with "Fishing Neds" as he terms them.
All I can say is these retained lads don't get paid enough and neither do the full timers.
mods, sorry if we're well of topic,
I can however report that the number of small sprat in Loch Long is nothing short of astonishing, t makes me wonder where the predators have been/are ?
I was camping at Ardgartan on sunday, You are right about the shoals of sprats. what a site it was when the mackerel where chasing the sprats and a seal was chasing the mackerel.

#11 ·
aye i witnessed them on saturday night its phenominal watching the fish leap clean out of the water nailing the baitfish, i have witnessed it in the past on a few occasions but nothing like it has been this year!! there was mackerel hammering the baitfish then underneath the shoals of mackerel you could see the odd decent pollack! we caught mackerel with sprats still alive in their mouths!!

#12 ·
awwww so it was you that had the fire, seen use from conger alley. Wish i'd knew u were going up i'd have given u a bell. We had a very frustrating night. Lost nearly every rig that went in and most had a fish on it:hammer: not amused, i also lost a belter of a fish at the surface! rageing!!

#13 ·
aye i witnessed them on saturday night its phenominal watching the fish leap clean out of the water nailing the baitfish, i have witnessed it in the past on a few occasions but nothing like it has been this year!! there was mackerel hammering the baitfish then underneath the shoals of mackerel you could see the odd decent pollack! we caught mackerel with sprats still alive in their mouths!!

is a sprat an young herring?

#14 ·
awwww so it was you that had the fire, seen use from conger alley. Wish i'd knew u were going up i'd have given u a bell. We had a very frustrating night. Lost nearly every rig that went in and most had a fish on it:hammer: not amused, i also lost a belter of a fish at the surface! rageing!!
Aye bud that was us, the fire wasnt that big lol!! ive found its not quite as snaggy over the caves side, thats a shame mate, no really fished conger alley that much heard it can be a tackle graveyard, theres cables all over the place there!! who was it you had went with? next time your fishing arrochar give me a shout mate, chances are i'll either be fishing there or i can pop along as its only 20mins away! duno if you had heard or not but im leaving the company, going back to engineering so any time u fancy a sesh at weekends or that gies a shout!!

#16 ·
Yesterday three of us fished just down from Ardmay. Rubbish everywhere and stinken too! Anyhoo to the fishin. Fished 2 hours up to and after high tide and not much. Tried baited float, spinning and feathers. Picked up some Mackies on high tide on feathers and a wee flatty on the float. None of the decent Pollack I had hoped for, maybe wrong spot.

#17 ·
Aye bud that was us, the fire wasnt that big lol!! ive found its not quite as snaggy over the caves side, thats a shame mate, no really fished conger alley that much heard it can be a tackle graveyard, theres cables all over the place there!! who was it you had went with? next time your fishing arrochar give me a shout mate, chances are i'll either be fishing there or i can pop along as its only 20mins away! duno if you had heard or not but im leaving the company, going back to engineering so any time u fancy a sesh at weekends or that gies a shout!!

He had the unfortunate pleasure of my company fishing at conger alley:roll1:

Tackle grave yard aint the word for it, have to go and buy more weights now:headhurt:

Atleast i got 2 congers landed which didnt please davy boy:yeah:

kev

#19 ·
He had the unfortunate pleasure of my company fishing at conger alley:roll1:

Tackle grave yard aint the word for it, have to go and buy more weights now:headhurt:

Atleast i got 2 congers landed which didnt please davy boy:yeah:

kev

lol bragging rights were yours then!! what size were the snakes? did u guys get alot of runs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.