World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 3 weeks unsuccessfully chasing salmon on the local river , I decided to head to cairndow this morn ,low water was 1pm so left with plenty of time ,however bout 4 miles short of luss the traffic had come to a virtual halt , we were moving forward a few yards then stopping , a passing cyclist said that a tourist had been in a road crash and died further up and the police had closed the road ,further up the police had confirmed this and the detour took me across glen fruin down to faslane and then into garelochhead , sod it change of plans decide to visit loch long ,hadnt fished there since the 80s ,couldnt get parked anywhere so left the car at finnart and just legged it ,came to an old mark and set up spinning rod to suplement bait ,I only had a pack of sandeels , sent out two beachcasters one close in ,one at distance,both baited with sandeel ,tried spinning for 10mins with nothing so switched to a spun sandeel

this method got me a nice pollack bout 2lbs , then I got a mackerel that I killed for bait , brought 1 beachcaster in and put out a mackerel head 10yds out in search for any conger, continued spinning with sandeel got me 4more pollack and another 3 mackerel all released at the waters edge ,happened to notice the conger rod pulling over then the ratchet slowly clicking out ,gave it a bit of slack ,felt it move again pulling over the tip so struck into a small conger maybe 6lbs ,quick scrap ,quick photo ,unhooked and back in again

didnt take any photos of the other fish just wanted to put them back asap, fished to 3pm saw a few anglers getting mackerel and saw a decent seatrout leap clear looked about 2-3lb ,saw fire brigade and police car belting down lochlomondside road with sirens on on the way back hope it wasnt another tragedy.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
You could have done alot worse for the detour!

Nice wee report.

Jim:thumbs:

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
after 3 weeks unsuccessfully chasing salmon on the local river , I decided to head to cairndow this morn ,low water was 1pm so left with plenty of time ,however bout 4 miles short of luss the traffic had come to a virtual halt , we were moving forward a few yards then stopping , a passing cyclist said that a tourist had been in a road crash and died further up and the police had closed the road ,further up the police had confirmed this and the detour took me across glen fruin down to faslane and then into garelochhead , sod it change of plans decide to visit loch long ,hadnt fished there since the 80s ,couldnt get parked anywhere so left the car at finnart and just legged it ,came to an old mark and set up spinning rod to suplement bait ,I only had a pack of sandeels , sent out two beachcasters one close in ,one at distance,both baited with sandeel ,tried spinning for 10mins with nothing so switched to a spun sandeel

this method got me a nice pollack bout 2lbs , then I got a mackerel that I killed for bait , brought 1 beachcaster in and put out a mackerel head 10yds out in search for any conger, continued spinning with sandeel got me 4more pollack and another 3 mackerel all released at the waters edge ,happened to notice the conger rod pulling over then the ratchet slowly clicking out ,gave it a bit of slack ,felt it move again pulling over the tip so struck into a small conger maybe 6lbs ,quick scrap ,quick photo ,unhooked and back in again

didnt take any photos of the other fish just wanted to put them back asap, fished to 3pm saw a few anglers getting mackerel and saw a decent seatrout leap clear looked about 2-3lb ,saw fire brigade and police car belting down lochlomondside road with sirens on on the way back hope it wasnt another tragedy.
Well done. whats with the marigolds

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
looks like it turned out ok and i was going to ask the same thing as kenny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts