World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to MOG this weekend, went to Loch Long this morning for fresh mackerel, went back this evening, but could not fish due to filthy water.
There was a brown oil slick along the eastern shoreline stretching from Finnart north to Arrochar.
When I was there this morning the water was clear and on my return the water was a mess and two tankers were berthed at Finnart - coincidence?
Anyone else seen this mess - email sent to SEPA.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yip mate seen it was fishing the loch long last night decided to go down to the rosneath road (straight across from the base) and it was even worse looked like a film of sewage lying on top off the water couldnt fish actually dissgusting email sent to sepa asswell cheers mate :wallbash:think it from faslane mate disgracefull

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its organic matter been in Gourock/Greenock ever since the heavy rains and has killed off most of the fishing .When you bring your line in its coated with the stuff which is greeny/brown in colour and washes off without trace.I think it may have been washed off the hills into the clyde due to the rain but open to other opinions

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Its organic matter been in Gourock/Greenock ever since the heavy rains and has killed off most of the fishing .When you bring your line in its coated with the stuff which is greeny/brown in colour and washes off without trace.I think it may have been washed off the hills into the clyde due to the rain but open to other opinions
An ex Policeman told me that it was the commercials whodunnit.........:unsure:

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
its the brown scum that forms on the slow moving parts of rivers and burns when the water gets low,ive forgotten the proper name for it ,but was told by a young lady from sepa a long time ago that it was possibly something to do with run off from farmers fields.years ago when i lived near erskine ,the whole shoreline from the bridge upt he way was covered in the stuff and loads of it got washed off on the bigger tides or when the river was in spate.
cheers rab

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phone call from SEPA, they suggested its run off from the land, caused by heavy rains (well done forum members who said this)
It may also be the tankers bilges being flushed, they are checking today - either way nothing to worry about and will disperse/sink.
Fished Gareloch this morning to top up fresh bait - final score - DaveNic 12 - crazy seal 3
StevieG - dont believe everything the polis tell you - no blame attached to the commercials - not seen one in Loch Long for years.

·
Registered
25,238 Posts
Hope you havent been down there giving the sea bed a little tickle????:spiteful::spiteful::spiteful:

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
my word how quickly the tanker crews got the blame,through nothing but ignorance from certain keyboard warriors

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my word how quickly the tanker crews got the blame,through nothing but ignorance from certain keyboard warriors
Hi Thornback, thanks for your post, at least you showed an interest.

I am sure you would have done the same if you had seen the mess, as I hope we are all concerned about the state of the seas.

If you read my post at no time did I blame anyone for the situation.

I do agree that I was ignorant, in that I lacked knowledge or information about the situation on Loch Long, however rather than ignoring the situation, I felt it appropriate to notify SEPA to highlight a potential problem.

It might be better just to ignore potential problems in the future, in the hope they just go away and dont cause any problems.

Anyway, gone to MOG for two days in the boat, will post report later.

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
=fish fanatic;2744113]fascinating, i'm sure.
It is.......why so many sensible and intelligent adults allow themselves to be "mushroomed".......:nerd:

I think you just like stirring the s***
Life is too short, and if I did you would notice. It would be more than playing at it with the friendly neighbourly bunfight we usually have on here..........:marinheir

Anyhoo it sounds as if the source of the problem has become clear, yet another negative effect on the Clyde marine environment, an effect over which we have little or no control.........:fish:

·
Sea Trout Fan
5,980 Posts

Anyhoo it sounds as if the source of the problem has become clear, yet another negative effect on the Clyde marine environment, an effect over which we have little control.........:fish:[/QUO
Oh well, at least you managed to stir some s*** in the process mate.

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Really, that's highly interesting i'm sure man.
anyway i'll leave you to it, whatever it is you're doing, i know that you'll just go on and on and on.
I've got better things to do than type pish on a computer:sun:
Just answering your points FF, it's rude not to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts