World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Am looking to get out this weekend, thinking Long or Fyne or even Etive . Does anyone know if the Mackerel are in any Lochs?

I have only fished Etive from Taynuilt piers with no luck, except seeing some otter, are there any better marks or am i just a bit rubbish? :confused2:

I hear rumors of sea trout and even brownies so will take the fly gear if that is a possibility

Any suggestions gratefully received

Best

Paul

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Fyne or Etive is better than loch long mate, and yes there's much better marks up there ;) though I have heard that mark to produce a few fish it's never fished well for me.

Fyne will fish on any of the laybys from Carindow and just have a search on here for Etive, loads of marks on both Lochs. Etive can be deep as well, so make sure your reel holds enough line, and if your griplead is sitting in the mud it can be good to leave the line slack after the cast for 30sec or so until it grips in the current. Quite often in Etive you'll be fishing over a steep shelf into deep water, so lift the lead fast and crank your reel fast to bring it up in the water and avoid getting it caught on the bottom. Midges can also be an issue at this time of year.

Mackerel are in the sea lochs year round but I'd expect to be in with a good chance of them from the shore now, though they seem a bit late this year.

Sea trout will migrate through these places but a permit is needed if within 1.5km of a river mouth. I wouldn't go expecting brownies.

Mackerel and squid fished on a flapper or pulley should see you ok up there, with pulley penells favoured for the spurs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the info, will have a look on the day and have a bash at either fyne or etive . really appreciate you taking the time on this

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks so much for the info, will have a look on the day and have a bash at either fyne or etive . really appreciate you taking the time on this

Cheers

Paul
No problem Paul, another wee thing with a lot of marks at Etive and some at Loch Fyne is to mind you may get pushed up into the treeline at high tide, so you may want to plan fishing to avoid that ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts