World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having fished the Cairnryan area of Loch Ryan with not much success,is there any other areas to fish ie over the other side etc,thanks in advance for any info,Robert.

·
Registered
651 Posts
hi m8 its much the same over the other side, and there isnt as much access to the loch either, well from what i know of it, someone else may have more on this hopefully. the trick with this mark is the same as much of the marks down here, they are far more productive in darkness.

·
Registered
775 Posts
As Tommy said, the marks on the other side offer much the same sport as cairnryan.
How are you fishing cairnryan, as you should be able to get a few fish by now, although it does fish considerably better in summer months. either fishing old house point or the lighthouse pint should se you in the fish, failing that leffnoll beach is a surefire mark for numerous dogs at night.

re. the other side:

the spit offers occasional school bass and flatfish. the rocks as you move out towards the head of the loch offer pollack, wrasse and conger.

I've had bullhuss from the boat within casting distance from these marks too.

hope this helps, but persevering with cairnryan in the summer should see results improve.

D

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Used to fish there years ago. Drove down to and parked at Lady bay, walked one field towards the mouth of the loch, at end of field there is a very large rock, which keeps you safe from wash from the H.S.S. Have caught decent sized conger from that rock. From there to Milleur point there are numerous good looking stances, at least look very good when seen from a boat, and give some good sport with pollack. All appear to require a very long walk though. Fish that area from boat quite often, and never see a shore angler, yet fishing for pollack and mackerel is very rewarding whe close in to the rocks. Again be very alert to the wash which can catch you unawares.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Guys,i will be down again in the next fortnight so hoefully things will have improved a bit by then.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Fish the Wig or Cockle shore for Bass. Need to get timing spot on, however there are a few fish to be had from both marks if you get it right.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
They were part of the WW2 Mulberry harbour to create an artificial harbour for the D day landings. Near Gairlieston at Eggerness point, there are quite a few at the high water mark in the bay which were lost when the tow broke. Same at Cairn head at the Isle of Whithorn where a lot of experiments were done with various means of bringing transport ashore. At Gairlieston, in the bay there is still the remains of one large caisson which resembles a wee oil rig,

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Interesting books which describe in detail some of Wigtownshires best known fishing marks are available in local libraries. Very informative, and good reads with old pictures.
1 The shipwrecks of Galloway
2 The R.A.F. in Galloway
3 The Mulbery harbour project in Galoway
4 The Military harbour at Cairn Ryan

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I tripped over a website with fishing marks around Loch Ryan & Wigtonshire somewhere, but i can't find it again. Any idea's ?

·
The Milky Bar Kid
2,253 Posts
Lochryan has seen a fall in fish stocks over the past few years, some blame it on the more powerfull ferries constantly disturbing the sea bed. However the whole area has the potential to be one of the best shore fishing areas in britain.
Having lived and fished in Stranraer all my life i've got to know all the hot spots and time of year to fish these spots, but i have learned nearly everything from my local sea angling club (Lochryan Sea Angling Association). I think that anyone who travels to this area should join the local club as it has some of the most knowledgeable and skillfull anglers i have ever met.
If anyone is interested in joining the can do so by asking the local tackle dealer Eric Mc Lean in The Sport Shop Stranraer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts