World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much to report really.

Two of us fished eight hours on three marks with four rods.

Two wee spurs under 3lb, a wee thornie about 3lb and more LSDs than you could count on a hundred fingers and toes. The doggies were in abundance on every mark and impossible to get away from.

Second very poor visit in a row here. I had two days at the end of August that were also spurless.

·
Registered
903 Posts
thats not what i want to here gordon,im up at laga logde for the week from the 27th so hope it improves:icecream:
tight lines the fox.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
You would've been better going to Prestwick and fishing off the shore, cracking report on here from there. No fish in the Clyde? Aye right.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Shame...... LSD's seem be a negative barometer of biodiversity in the ecosystem.... They just seem to take over anywhere the traditional West cost species have been wiped out.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Shame...... LSD's seem be a negative barometer of biodiversity in the ecosystem.... They just seem to take over anywhere the traditional West cost species have been wiped out.
Have noticed down here that they tend to move into the upper areas of Wigtown Bay in almost plague proportions in the summer months then move off in winter, I'm not convinced anyhting has to be wiped out to accommodate them.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I were a betting man and the LSD v Spurdog fight came up, I'd have a fiver on the spurries anyday as the superior being in the food chain. I'm fishing same marks, same baits, same traces etc that I've been using there for the last four years and the returns are almost zero.

Have checked back the diaries over the last few years and have had great spur hauls on these marks in Aug, Sep and Oct before. Am hoping this was just a pair of "nae luck" trips? Time will tell.

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Any real basis to this theory Stuart, or did you just make it up.........:g:

Unfortunately the only possible negative fishy impact between good fishing Sunart and poor fishing Sunart on the target species, that I am aware of, alleged resident stock etc etc etc, could be with rod and line, unless you can enlighten me otherwise of course, a pretty scary thought for you guys, mind how you go.......:black_eye

·
Registered
411 Posts
can understand where stuart is coming from.when the cod were wiped out in the clyde,the usual cod marks were suddenly alive with coalies. when they went the same seemed with doggies arriving to take their place at red rocks and the wash.then they too dissapeared. then i did too and moved to skye.lol

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
not fished sunart this year,mostly etive but doggies low on the ground there 2,not in pest type numbers.

will try sunart at start of nov,i will see if its worth i.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
can understand where stuart is coming from.when the cod were wiped out in the clyde,the usual cod marks were suddenly alive with coalies. when they went the same seemed with doggies arriving to take their place at red rocks and the wash.then they too dissapeared. then i did too and moved to skye.lol
You really should think about moving back, the heavilly commercialy fished Clyde seems to be producing better results than the, only fished by anglers, Sunnart - surely catch & release couldn't be responsible?

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Even the dogs have moved on from them marks now Ross.... There has been a few wee cod caught in the lower Clyde resently but not enough to justify a cod trip to catch them.

Even last year we had a couple of trips up there to sunart with no spurs or dogs.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Even the dogs have moved on from them marks now Ross.... There has been a few wee cod caught in the lower Clyde resently but not enough to justify a cod trip to catch them.

Even last year we had a couple of trips up there to sunart with no spurs or dogs.
I've been out every day (5) during the recent good weather spell on the reefs off Ardrossan. I used mackerel for bait and caught a lot of many different species but there were no signs of dogfish. I was expecting them, especially on fish baits, but they didn't show. Looks like the cod might just be making a comeback and even a haddock showed up, but don't put that on an open forum.....ooopps

·
Registered
311 Posts
We fished on our big boat in Ayr and Prestwick bays on Sunday and had only mackerel and a few small wrasse. Will be interesting to see how the tagathon goes in Sunart in a few weeks.... Hopefully a few more spurs and a few less LSDs.

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
not fished sunart this year,mostly etive but doggies low on the ground there 2,not in pest type numbers.

will try sunart at start of nov,i will see if its worth i.
We will up at the beginning of November for the spur match hopefully see you there..

Has any one been out this weekend in sunart..?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
We will up at the beginning of November for the spur match hopefully see you there..

Has any one been out this weekend in sunart..?
think ticketys there again and at least one another boat to so i heard through the grapevine enjoy your time at the tagathon hopefully the fishing improves it wasnt fishing its best the last time i was up also, heard better reports from etive lately.

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
think ticketys there again and at least one another boat to so i heard through the grapevine enjoy your time at the tagathon hopefully the fishing improves it wasnt fishing its best the last time i was up also, heard better reports from etive lately.
I think billys up trying his new boat might be him.. Hopefully the weathers like this weekend

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey Kenny, I was up with Billy yesterday trying out the new boat and getting him used to whats what with it.........tried 3 various marks, one between Salen and Resipole, just dogs......Moved to Laga Bay near Andy Jacksons and again dogs and moved back down to South shore across from Salen and again a couple of dogs....

Ticketty was up as well and he tried marks in the same general areas and again just dogs........BUT one spur did show for him just under 7lb and also a small thornie at 3lb...

Lets hope with there being more boats up at the Tagathon we will be able to locate the packs of spurs more easily.......Yesterday we tried marks all between 190-300ft........I think at the Tagathon it will be very worthwhile searching the shallower marks, 70-150ft..... Sometimes it just makes all the difference.....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.