World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got back from our yearly jaunt up to loch sunart yest, not as wild as last year's (no barn dance) had a fairly quiet night on the friday so we were all up nice and fresh for the fishing on sat morning

got set up wi the mackerel feather's only to find there wern't any mackerel there we got 5 between 12 o us 1 tiny whiting and 1 tiny codling luckely the troop's had brought plenty o frozen mackerel so we decided to head for the skate

Tom(skipper) got the anchor set and we started fishing, tide was pushing and tangle after tangle later we had the first fish on board a doggie as there was money involved (£5 each for heaviest fish) i chucked some muppets on baited wi mackerel and squid strip's to try for a spur but only doggie's were playing then jammie jimmy got into a conger and even jammier alan got a bigger conger so the big bait's had to go back out

put the last bait out wi half an hour to go mackerel flapper and 2 whole squid set the rod down wi the ratchet on and waited got a couple o we rattles then the ratchet started to tick away grabed the rod ready to strike but nothing happened so set it back down and it screamed away grabed the rod and struck into what felt like the bottom, half an hour later i was rewarded wi a little beauty o a common skate it tipped the scale's at 140lb's

so i'm thinkin happy day's well chuffed my first skate and the heaviest fish when Tom tell's me it's tagged and there's £50 for returning the tag so an even bigger grin on my face after that though he hit me wi there was another tag and if i'd caught it a couple o day's before i'd o been able to claim the 2 o them but still came home a very very happy chappie

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
cracking fish but is there not a better way of weighing the fish than that it looks brutal.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
i must admit it does look brutal but i heard it heals well, i wouldnt know though, well done thats a HUGE fish u got there :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
it is brutal ! this is why there are charts to give a very good estimate on skate weights tom should know better !! no slight on you doyt for you first skate but this practise from the skipper is out of order :nono:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Good to see one of the Data tagged fish being recaptured, fingers crossed there should be some good data from it when it's analysed.

As for the method of weighing, yes it's brutal I've never believed it to be a good way to weigh the fish but that's the way Brian Swinbanks weighed his fish. It's far better for the skate to cradle it in a net when weighing it rather than hanging from a gaff.

Edit

This is how I do it

G

·
Beautiful looking fish, but I dont agree with weighing it that way it looks so cruel I would have thought there would have been better ways.

·
Coatbridge Angler
1,024 Posts
Nice fish mate and bouns of £50 that cant be bad. But cant the skipper take the size from wing tip to wing tip and give an avrage weight i thinks they are charts for this sort of thing.. could be wrong but anythings got to be better than a gaf :busted_co

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pic's seemed to be upsetting everyone and i dont want to cause any prob's or row's about the way o landing or weighing a fish so i've removed them

·
The Milky Bar Kid
2,253 Posts
pic's seemed to be upsetting everyone and i dont want to cause any prob's or row's about the way o landing or weighing a fish so i've removed them
Never should have to come to that mate, you caught the fish so you deserve to get a pic with it and show it off proudly. Regardless of how the skipper weighs it:thumbdown:thumbdown

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
no need for that its the only way people learn. i didnt know what the proper way was till i seen davys post.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

totaly agree with Kevin and marty, no need to remove the picture as you have every right to be proud of your catch. It's just the skipper that needs some educating.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
as said before doyt its not a slight on you your first skate should be fondly remembered ,and as davy says skipper needs a lot of educating !!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well done on you Skate :clap: I dont mind not getting a look at it, im sorry the skipper spoiled your moment. Good luck in the future.

Steven

1 - 15 of 15 Posts