World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im going camping up by Loch Tay this thursday. Now the thing is im hopeless when it comes to fishing (Just started last year). Anyway i got my rod and reel last year for trying my hand at Torness power station. So does it matter that i have used my gear in the sea then using it in fresh water. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you are using a spinning rod and reel they will do in fresh water as well, as far as hooks and weights go just scale them down a good bit use size 6,8,10 hooks or smaller if need be, I used to use 1oz weights for the Lochs, it all depends on what style of fishing you will be doing

·
Registered
331 Posts
Remember mate Loch Tay is a freshwater loch you would be better going into the flyfishing forum on here and doing a search.
Tight lines anyway :fishing1:

·
Registered
42 Posts
It depends on what you want to do?

If you are camping, and fishing bankside, you are more likely to pick up Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout (Fish Farm Escapees) and perhaps the odd Sea Trout, you will have more chance at the Kenmore End.

A good sturdy bait rod/spinning rod will do the job, maggot, worm, power bait all preferred baits, hooks biggest no bigger than a size 10/12, 14's preferred. Weights can be a multitude of sins, weighed swimfeeders, ledger weights, bullet weights up to 1oz will do the job. Generally no more than 30 odd feet out from the bank, as there is a shelve off into deeper water.

If you fish the Killin end, much shallower/weedy, and more likely to encounter Pike, step up your gear with 30lb wire traces, and size 4/6 hooks/trebles.

More of a chance with dead baits/plugs here.

Another option is trolling, good standard spinning rod (10foot), reel with 20lb mono/braid, 15 -40g class will be suitable for salmon, standard plugs, tobies, devon minnows, flying C's, tasmanian devils etc will do the Job, but it is pot luck. Boats are available from Loch Tay Highland Lodges (have a look at their website).

If you google "fishing loch tay" you will get a wealth of info.

Dont forget your permit, baillifs are strict here!

Tight lines:fishing1:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the reply`s guys some really helpfull information. We will be camping in Killen so if i get a pike i will probably poo myself. Will let you all know how i get on.

Thanks again.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts